372XP good saw for everyday use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
Hey I have a chance to get a decent 372XP for fairly cheap (under $500). I'm currently running a Husky 345 for small stuff, and 55 w/18" bar and semi-chisel for larger stuff. I'd like one good newer saw, but can't afford all three. If I get the 372XP, and sell the 55, will the 345 and the 372 be a good combo? We burn mostly pine here in Wyoming, fell and buck my own. Some elm and cottonwood too. How much difference in the saws (55 vs 372XP)? THanks for the advice...!

thats a hudge upgrade and 500.00 sounds like a great deal! 70cc saw

372XP will make VERY short work of large pine, that is a true pro saw. I keep looking at them and wondering if I need it, my current is a Husky 350 that I just ordered non safety chain from Bailey's for. You will probably be more than tickled the first time you get into something that you had to wait for the 55 or the 345 to get through. If I had one I would probably get chaps, the pro saws are wicked fast. I'm still getting the free permit wood out of the Black Hills NF and so far the biggest was about 17". Have fun.

Thanks guys - sounds like a deal. I always wear the chaps (and steel toes, and eye protection, etc) when I'm cutting, just took one close call and I was at the store buying them next day, saw barely grazed my leg and destroyed my jeans, just a scratch but a pretty good wake-up-

I don't have any particular brand loyalty--I have both Husky and Stihl. That being said, I wouldn't consider a 372XP to be a "firewood saw," it's much more powerful than what most casual wood burners need IMHO. I have the Rancher 55, and I use it for most of my firewood work, though I just picked up a Stihl MS 440 Magnum with a 32" b&c;and I put it to the test cutting up this 36" English Walnut near my house. That thing screams! Funny thing is, after running the MS 440 for a few hours, when I pick up the Husky 55 it feels like a little toy compared to the 440.......though the Husky also feels light and nimble too and it's definitely a tough (though not "pro quality") saw.

If you really want a "one saw solution" that is a nice balance between weight, agility, power, and build quality, I'd say the Stihl MS 361 with an 16"/18" and a 24" b&c;is the way to go--I've heard that you can get them for $550 +/- brand new. Frankly, I'm tempted to trade in my 55 and 440 on a 361 myself......but I do like having more than one saw in terms of backup/redundancy.

Just my $.02

NP

Nonprophet said:
I don't have any particular brand loyalty--I have both Husky and Stihl. That being said, I wouldn't consider a 372XP to be a "firewood saw," it's much more powerful than what most casual wood burners need IMHO. I have the Rancher 55, and I use it for most of my firewood work, though I just picked up a Stihl MS 440 Magnum with a 32" b&c;and I put it to the test cutting up this 36" English Walnut near my house. That thing screams! Funny thing is, after running the MS 440 for a few hours, when I pick up the Husky 55 it feels like a little toy compared to the 440.......though the Husky also feels light and nimble too and it's definitely a tough (though not "pro quality") saw.

If you really want a "one saw solution" that is a nice balance between weight, agility, power, and build quality, I'd say the Stihl MS 361 with an 16"/18" and a 24" b&c;is the way to go--I've heard that you can get them for $550 +/- brand new. Frankly, I'm tempted to trade in my 55 and 440 on a 361 myself......but I do like having more than one saw in terms of backup/redundancy.

Just my $.02

NP
the 372 and the stihl 440 both 70 cc saw's for a one saw plan I would go 70 cc or bigger(20-28 in.bar) and 500.00 for the 372xp is a great saw

OK update - sounds like I can get the saw for a good price, but it has a 34" bar - isn't that a bit much for a 70CC saw? SO I'd best add in another $60 for bar and chain in a useable length, like 20-22"...?

moosetrek said:
OK update - sounds like I can get the saw for a good price, but it has a 34" bar - isn't that a bit much for a 70CC saw? SO I'd best add in another $60 for bar and chain in a useable length, like 20-22"...?

If I remember correctly, the 372xp is recommended for a 16"-28" bar only. It will pull a 34" bar in softwood ok, but if you don't need it it's kind of a waste--except for a back-saver when you're limbing....lol.

NP

Nonprophet said:
moosetrek said:

if I was buying one bar for that sa it would be a 24

If I remember correctly, the 372xp is recommended for a 16"-28" bar only. It will pull a 34" bar in softwood ok, but if you don't need it it's kind of a waste--except for a back-saver when you're limbing....lol.
+1 and bet it would be less than ok with 34

NP

moosetrek said:
If I get the 372XP, and sell the 55, will the 345 and the 372 be a good combo?

That is pretty much my combo and it seems to be close to ideal for firewood. While the smaller saw doesn't see a lot of action as it only gets used for limbing, it is nice to not have to move around in the woods with the bigger saw. I run a 20" chisel on the 71 and it is both fast and easy on the saw.

SolarAndWood said:
moosetrek said:
If I get the 372XP, and sell the 55, will the 345 and the 372 be a good combo?

That is pretty much my combo and it seems to be close to ideal for firewood. While the smaller saw doesn't see a lot of action as it only gets used for limbing, it is nice to not have to move around in the woods with the bigger saw. I run a 20" chisel on the 71 and it is both fast and easy on the saw.

didnt think about cutting in a woods yep 20 will be more than enough, for scrounging 24in. will get you more jobs

I'll have to see if my new 18" bar off the 55 will fit the 372, guessing that would be maybe too small a bar, but pretty quick through dead pine:) I'll swap the 34" for a 20-24 at the shop in town, I doubt I'd ever run over a 24" for our needs. Thanks for the advice all.

moosetrek said:
I'll have to see if my new 18" bar off the 55 will fit the 372, guessing that would be maybe too small a bar, but pretty quick through dead pine:) I'll swap the 34" for a 20-24 at the shop in town, I doubt I'd ever run over a 24" for our needs. Thanks for the advice all.
there's a good idea and yes if that 18 fits it will be fun. the 34in. bar should be eazy trade

I got a used Husky 372XP w/24" bar a year ago. I LOVE it for felling and bucking larger hardwood (Oak, Maple, Hickory). For smaller work, or for cutting closer to ground level, it is too heavy for comfortable extended use, and wears me out quickly. To complement it, I got a small Husky top handle 334T with just a 12 in" bar, for smaller wood or easy limbing work. This is a really nice two saw combination. I do have a third, in between saw - an Echo 370, but it rarely gets used any more. I've considered getting a shorter bar (18 or 20") for the 372 - that might make it more manageable for longer use, but haven't felt the need just yet.

So, yeah, I think the 372XP is excellent, especially at the price you mentioned. But a smaller, lighter saw complements it nicely. It all depends on how you want to use it and what you need to cut.

smokinj said:
the 34in. bar should be eazy trade

You are supporting the trade in of a 34 in bar? Didn't see that coming.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinj said:
the 34in. bar should be eazy trade

You are supporting the trade in of a 34 in bar? Didn't see that coming.
yep thats what it came with wow hudge bar for 70 cc he's got 18 that may or may not fit 18-24 in. combo be pretty darn sweet on a 70cc saw

smokinj said:
combo be pretty darn sweet on a 70cc saw

Agreed...moosetrek, I'd keep that 34 for the occasional use and compliment it with a 20" unless you have a lot of 24"+ logs to buck.

OK got the saw - it's only a 32" bar. Looks like it saw more use than advertised (big surprise there), the chain is duller than a bowling ball and it's pretty well covered in fine stuff, but fired right up and seemed strong; tried on some elm but with the chain I didn't want to push it. Got it for $400, so sounds like even with some work it's worth it - might just take the advice from you experts and keep the big bar and buy a 20" for it (or take the old 20" from the 55). Anyhow, thanks all for the advice; new question is keep the new 345 or the old 55? Leaning toward ditching the 55, as the 345 is new and a faster limbing saw, but not sure - can get about the same price for either.

moosetrek said:
OK got the saw - it's only a 32" bar. Looks like it saw more use than advertised (big surprise there), the chain is duller than a bowling ball and it's pretty well covered in fine stuff, but fired right up and seemed strong; tried on some elm but with the chain I didn't want to push it. Got it for $400, so sounds like even with some work it's worth it - might just take the advice from you experts and keep the big bar and buy a 20" for it (or take the old 20" from the 55). Anyhow, thanks all for the advice; new question is keep the new 345 or the old 55? Leaning toward ditching the 55, as the 345 is new and a faster limbing saw, but not sure - can get about the same price for either.
you know them saw better than anyone keep the one you like the best 345 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.