375 to 400 IR face temperature. Is this too cool a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
I have a new Regency I3100L. My living area, once up to 75, only needs an occasional log to keep things cozy. Using an IR gun and scanning the surface left to right above the door, the temperature is between 375 and 400. The damper is slightly open. There is a bit more accumulation on the door that is light grey when running like this that does not bother me. I'm curious if this is a good temperature to run at?

Thank you!

I just check for smoke out the stack. If there is any I burn hotter.

Reactions: davidmsem
Another thing, It would be best to load the stove, let it burn til it is down to coals then reload vs. adding one split or round at a time.

Another thing, It would be best to load the stove, let it burn til it is down to coals then reload vs. adding one split or round at a time.
Thank you......all new to me.......I appreciate the help!

If its mild out put two on and wait until it burns down to coals and then add another two until its burned down to coals. If its cold out load it up and do the same. Smaller loads may have to have more air to get up to temps but like Tarzan said looking at your chimney is a good indicator as to how well you are burning. Smoke really should only be during the beginning of a reload. I have on occasion thrown a extra split in as an after thought but dont make a habit of it. I kinda like all the wood in the fire box progressing in unison.

Status
Not open for further replies.