385XP with low compression.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the compression is low would this indicate a scorched piston?
How hard is it to replace the piston?
Is the piston all that needs to be replaced?
Thanks for all the great info found on this site.
Sean

Low compression could be caused by a number of things. First off, make certain that your spark plug is seated the whole way (make sure the compression washer is squished down). Next, make sure your decompression button isn't sticking. If you find that the rings are the problem, chances are you may need a cylinder as well. If you are doing a tear-down, look the cylinder and piston over real good for abrasion and deep scratches. Usually when the rings wear out, the piston gets sloppy in the cylinder causing the skirts of the piston to rub against the cylinder walls. If that's the case, you're gonna need a piston, cylinder and rings. While your at it, check the bearings on the crankshaft and also the crankcase seals......you'll have the saw torn down, may as well put new seals in as its a cheap insurance policy.......

How low is "low"?

Was running and while idling it shut down! Could not be restarted. Took it to a saw shop and the gent held the pull rope, and we watched the saw fall to the end of the pull rope. Was told low compression / scorched piston.
What or how to test compression the right way?

It the rope can't hold the weight of the saw, a bad p/c could very well be the cause. Check to make sure the plug and decomp are working as Scotty mentioned earlier (dealer may have already done that if he was worth a darn).

If you want to test it you'll need a compression tester...should be north of 150 PSI.

If you don't have one pull the muffler and take a peek at the piston and cylinder.

Your shop should have a compression gauge. To me, anything below 90-100 lbs is worthy of a look. Good compression is up around 130-150lbs.

If the dealer was really interested in telling you what's wrong with your saw, a compression test (with a real comp gauge) and a leak-down test would have pin pointed it. At the very least, pull the muffler and visually check the piston.

De-comp valve is a very common cause of low compression so check that before moving on to the more expensive things.

To all!!
The saw in question that I thought someone was holding for me went to the big scrap yard in the sky!!
Only if!!!
Oh well thanks all!
Will not make that same mistake again!!::-)
Sean

I killed the saw long before I found this site. After reading and watching vids,, I said I can rebuild it. Went back to gent and we looked in his pile..No luck .
Day late dollar short.
Will not do that again!
Sean

Never EVER leave a saw you don't desperately want to be rid of in a dealership or small engine repair shop. ;) I highly doubt that saw went to the scrapyard. It's most likely cutting wood for some lucky Craigslist/Ebay user this very minute. Or at the very least,parts of it are. You always can hold on to it yourself until you decide. Then donate it to his cause or sell it as a "parts" saw. 385XP in decent cosmetic shape would have brought a couple hundred, even with a bad top end.

;hm

Reactions: PapaDave
Come on more salt!!! ;sick

That 385 never existed. You only think you remember owning one...and it dying...and you dropping it off at the dealer...and it disappearing. None of that ever happened. A figment of your imagination.

I killed the saw long before I found this site. After reading and watching vids,, I said I can rebuild it. Went back to gent and we looked in his pile..No luck .
Day late dollar short.
Will not do that again!
Sean

Did he at least offer you something else out of his pile?

btw, I never intended to call you an idiot, in case it came across that way...... I was talking about the person who "threw it away".

I am the idiot for leaving it!
But I do have a 350 with a scorched piston @ home.

Status
Not open for further replies.