4.9 cords is missing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I just calculated how much wood I burned this year.
4.9 cords, mostly birch, is missing from the woodshed.
Well, I filled the wood box in the basement yesterday which finished
off the last row of birch & added some spruce, but it should hold up
until the burning season is done. (I hope anyway)
About 1/3 of the wood I have.
572 cubic feet of birch, 61 cubic feet of spruce. (Left side held 4.4 cord & is smallest of the 3 sections)
About 40% less with the new catalytic stove than previous years. (+ house avg. temp is warmer) :)
Old stove burned between 9 & 10 cords, new stove: 5 cords. I like it ;)
After & before pic:

Attachments

• 100_6053.jpg
    100_6053.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 754
  • 100_5239.jpg
    100_5239.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 736
Could part of it be the processing? I down atleast 2 cords this year from stacking alone.

Wow, new stove saving you 4 cord/year is awesome!

Quite a savings,hows the King doing for you I've got one ordered,hows the output? any fire in the firebox to watch. thanks

ohlongarm said:
Quite a savings,hows the King doing for you I've got one ordered,hows the output? any fire in the firebox to watch. thanks
I like the stove allot, sometimes too much heat on 30 & 40 ° days though. Learning to build smaller fires on warm days
Good Fire in it when cold days & have to turn it up, usually some flames dancing around almost anytime.
I'm impressed by the heat output compared to the old BK king I had
& the long burn times with lots of heat output still amaze me.
Now, 2 spits last all day, then load 1/3 to 1/2 load at night, good till noon.

Catalytic stoves are worth it. IMO. Burning is different but easy if you follow the manual & use well seasoned, dry wood.

Dave - I'm right there with you - I think I'll be spot on for a 5 cord winter. Wasted a lot of wood in the fall learning the stove and getting the house WAY too hot. Hope to save about 1/2 cord next year with smarter burning. Cheers!

Dave, that is good to hear. You've saved yourself a lot of hard work with that new stove. After hurting the back, that will be super nice.

Thanks Dave can't wait to get mine installed,glad I can still watch a little fire it's a primordial thing I've been told.

Bogydave,

Is that "after" picture recent? It doesn't look like you've got much snow. I always imagine Alaska to be more snowy than Central Wisconsin. But maybe you just get the cold and not much precip.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Bogydave,

Is that "after" picture recent? It doesn't look like you've got much snow. I always imagine Alaska to be more snowy than Central Wisconsin. But maybe you just get the cold and not much precip.

Today' pic
Not much snow this year, it all went South East to you guys.
In all , it was a mild, weird winter here, allot of wind, but not much snow. not many below zero weeks.
40s day time now , 20s at night, could snow anytime for the next 4 weeks though.
weather:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AKZ111

dave,

Good to here how much you saved with the new stove. That's incredible. I love that wood shed. That is very close to what I want to do. What are the dimensions of it? Thanks.

DaFattKidd said:
dave,

Good to here how much you saved with the new stove. That's incredible. I love that wood shed. That is very close to what I want to do. What are the dimensions of it? Thanks.

Roof is 8' X 48', built in 16 foot sections.
Inside is 88" X 47'- 4"'.
I'd make the overhang in the back more than I did, I only have a 2" rear overhang. (6" front working good)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/56894/

bogydave said:
DaFattKidd said:
dave,

I'd make the overhang in the back more than I did, I only have a 2" rear overhang. (6" front working good)

Thanks, Dave. Looks great. If I do it I'd do a bit of a smaller version. how did it work out for you this winter?

DaFattKidd said:
bogydave said:
DaFattKidd said:
dave,

Thanks, Dave. Looks great. If I do it I'd do a bit of a smaller version. how did it work out for you this winter?

Was great, we had more than a few freezing rain days, It was great to load ice & snow free wood & haul to the house.
Should've done it years ago. (not tarps lost either :) )

How big is your place?

I burned about 2.5 cords this winter, ~1400 sq ft house. Only used the boiler for the garage and domestic hot water.

NATE379 said:
How big is your place?

I burned about 2.5 cords this winter, ~1400 sq ft house. Only used the boiler for the garage and domestic hot water.

around 2700

Status
Not open for further replies.