4 burnt valves on my gas logs and counting - HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foobydoo

Jan 28, 2006
Greetings experts, I hope someone can help me with this very weird problem. Monessen and their guys can't! O.k., here's the basic info, new house with a vented fireplace. since October we have burned up 4 valves on our lp gas log fireplace and no one can figure out why. Here's all the facts and numbers.....we live in central Florida, inland with normal wind currents.......firebox dimensions - height 30", depth 23", front width 35", rear width 22", flue is 10" diameter and about 25 feet high with one bend-about a 30 degree angle-that starts about a foot above the firebox and is about 2 foot long. Back in October the gas log technicians installed a 30" monessen duzy set with a remote control. They set the flame height and all that stuff. It lasted about 6 or 8 hours and the valve melted....so they replaced it....it melted again......they put in a Petersen log set...it melted that one too. We then went with a 24" log set, positioned it all the way in the back....it melted after about 6 hours total use time. The technicians have given up, they said they are done. I think we built our house on sacred Indian ground and we are just plain cursed. I have pictures of the melted valve, the firebox and anything else that might help. Monessen told me that they think the flames are being pushed down and that is why the valves keep burning up, their solution is for me to get a log set with no remote.......that may end the problem but it doesn't tell me WHY the problem is occurring-if that's it at all-and what could be done to alleviate it. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC07377.JPG
    DSC07377.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 441
foobydoo said:
Greetings experts, I hope someone can help me with this very weird problem. Monessen and their guys can't! O.k., here's the basic info, new house with a vented fireplace. since October we have burned up 4 valves on our lp gas log fireplace and no one can figure out why. Here's all the facts and numbers.....we live in central Florida, inland with normal wind currents.......firebox dimensions - height 30", depth 23", front width 35", rear width 22", flue is 10" diameter and about 25 feet high with one bend-about a 30 degree angle-that starts about a foot above the firebox and is about 2 foot long. Back in October the gas log technicians installed a 30" monessen duzy set with a remote control. They set the flame height and all that stuff. It lasted about 6 or 8 hours and the valve melted....so they replaced it....it melted again......they put in a Petersen log set...it melted that one too. We then went with a 24" log set, positioned it all the way in the back....it melted after about 6 hours total use time. The technicians have given up, they said they are done. I think we built our house on sacred Indian ground and we are just plain cursed. I have pictures of the melted valve, the firebox and anything else that might help. Monessen told me that they think the flames are being pushed down and that is why the valves keep burning up, their solution is for me to get a log set with no remote.......that may end the problem but it doesn't tell me WHY the problem is occurring-if that's it at all-and what could be done to alleviate it. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

I think the 30" set was way too big. That size fireplace should have a 24" set!
So at least that is why the first couple failed.......

Now some guesses on the newer one.

1. Positioning it to the back is the worst thing you can do! The cooling air comes in the face of the fireplace and heads up the flue - also the fireplace is much thinner in the rear, meaning more heat deflecting off the sides and rear and back to the gas valve.

2. Yes, with a 24" log and no remote, I really doubt you would have the problem.

3. In colder climates, the air coming into the house and fireplace is cooler in the first place, so perhaps the logs stay a bit cooler - no excuse though.

4. The logs should NOT be exactly centered, but moved over so that a little more air can circ around the gas valve, etc.

5. It is possible that a small sheet metal shield can be made or added to (if one exists) to keep the radiant heat away.

6. The LP regulator should be checked carefully and also the logs must, of course, be converted to or set up for LP. There are MANY bad regulators. Some are adjustable, so turning down the regulator means less LP used and also less heat on the valve....

7. A set like the Peterson 6 series (more efficient) tends to throw less heat to the sides and rear - and uses less gas. They even have a 20" size, if you want even more air around the logs.

Let us know what you finally do!

Thanks for all the great advice. The gas company came out and found and replaced an intermittent regulator after the 3rd meltdown, we thought the problem was fixed but then the 4th set (24") melted as well. The first three log sets were positioned in the front of the firebox, after carefully reading all the monessen literature I found that it said in no uncertain terms to place the log set all the way to the rear of the firebox. The technicians had been placing them at the front so I was hoping THAT was part of the problem as well....wrong again. I'd sure like to be able to keep the remote with the system, it just seems crazy that it won't work, all parties involved are growing very weary of testing out theories with expensive valves. I don't know if there is a silver bullet solution or not!

Attachments

• DSC07374.JPG
    DSC07374.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 395
Hi Craig, just wanted to get back with you and let you know what happened with my burned valve problem. To recap, the first two sets(monesson) burnt up I think because they were 30" sets and possibly due to a bad regulator or a possible defective batch set. The third set (peterson)(24"), burnt up due to a faulty regulator valve, the fourth set(monesson) (24"), melted as well, but when the technician replaced it he discovered where there was a gas leak at the valve which left scorch marks pretty much proving that was the cause, the wires were unaffected. The current 24" remote monesson set is from a different batch and is set about as low as it will go, it's all the way to the front of the firebox, we've burned it about 5 hours so far with no problems, the local technician also burned it 2X12 hours in his showroom prior to bring it out to me. So anyway, we'll keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again for all your help and expertise.

Status
Not open for further replies.