4 cold rooms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
not sure what to do...I will try and describe this... On my lower level, off of my kitchen I have a mud room(entrance area), a room that is unfinished, (also right above this room is another unfinished room) and my basement door ( basement is very drafty). My pellet stove is in my dining room. Would you leave the doors open to the basement and to the unfinished room so warm air gets into these areas or would that be wasting my heat. My thinking is If I opened the doors and try to warm these areas, that the rest of my house my stay warmer. Now my stove is not the greatest so I don't know. I probably am going to have to try this but but just looking for some input if anyone else is in the same situation as I am.

Basement door is the blue area.

room.jpg

You could try the mudroom and unfinished room. But I wouldn't even try the basement door. If you want to heat the basement? Add another heat source down there. Some of that heat will move upstair too. Otherwise seal up the basement as much as possible to keep the cold air from migrating into the other nearby rooms. Insulate the door or something.

jay

Heat usually rises so I doubt it will go down into the basement. I put my stove in our finished basement where we spend alot of time. If I keep the downstairs at 73-75 its stays about 65-68 upstairs...a bit cooler than desired at times.

BIH

Status
Not open for further replies.