4" duravent adjustable pipe problem :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtpenguin

Feb 28, 2014
Vt
here's the situation- bought all the piping, which is was insanely expensive , 4pvp-24, 4pvp-90, etc. all black. I needed 52 inches of pipe to make it to the thimble, so I ordered a 4pvp-48a which is effectively a 46 inch usable length pipe, it is solid but is "adjustable". Unlike the shorter length adjustables this ones does NOT telescope, a regular piece of pvp is supposed to fit into it so you basically make your own telescoping length of pipe. The problem is despite any amount of force I cannot get the shorter length of regular pipe to fit into the adjustable. It goes in about 3 inches then stops. I wonder if the paint is making it to thick? It's jammed. Can I safely use grease? Soap? What can I do?

I've spent 600 dollars on see 4 pieces of pipe, and am disappointed in the quality and finish. Is there a better brand then duravent?

My advice to anyone considering a pellet stove- buy it from someone that will install it. This has been a nightmare.

Is found a old post where someone had the same exact question. He didn't get any responses. So I'm going to modify my query and simply ask if anyone reading this lives near Cambridge vt that could help me install. Thanks

Without any pictures or more accurate descriptions...

Can you move the stove over to one side or the other, and run your stove pipe
at a slight angle and use a 60" (probably 58" usable) piece?

Or, can you use a 36" piece, a 12", and a 12" adjustable to get your exact dimension?

Assuming of course you can return your stuff..

Dan

I have a basement install and are using an adjustable segment of duravent to fill an odd length. As I understand, the adjustable segment slides over a 1' or 6" standard pipe segment to fill an odd dimension. Since the chimney cleaners did a dodgy job of re-installing the piping, had to have a jammed adjustible section unstuck, as they tried to seal it by using some high heat foil tape on the inner segment ... brilliant.

I've run into all sorts of weird issues with my install, but didn't have a problem with the adjustable duravent on mine (3" though). It slipped right over a 36" segment, and easily adjustable. Hope you get yours figured out.

After I got the segment unstuck, was able to re-assmemble the venting and seal it up... but my problem is apparently with the chimney - not drawing the way it was before the chimney sweets "cleaned" it... Looks like the sweeps might have messed it up somehow. Looks like they're off the Christmas list! Egad.

Status
Not open for further replies.