4" duravent conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StoveMiser

Jan 15, 2008
Western NY
Hello all. After roughly one month of use, I am noticing that direct venting straight out without a vertical rise is quite dirty on the outside of the house. I am already seeing buildup. Over the summer I plan to put in a vertical rise, but to accomplish that I need to change over to 4" pipe.

My question is do they make a 4" adapter that goes directly to the stove or is there a 4" reducer section that can be purchased? The stove sits at a 45 degree angle in the corner. My pipe route will be...

-45 coming out of the stove
-12 inch horizontal
-45 to thimble
-Clean out t outside
-12 foot rise
-cap

Does this sound like a sensible install? The 45's kinda stink but its the only way I can get the outside vertical run to not be in front of a window.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This site is awesome!

Out of curiosity How far is your flu extended from your outside wall? Mine is 20 inches and absolutely no soot or build up yet although I have only been burning a few weeks at 2 bags a day. I had considered a vertical chimney pipe but was told this would suffice. tks

I think to the tip of the vent cap I'm almost exactly 20 inches from the wall. The pipe comes out in an area on the house that has has an inside corner and the pipe is 4 feet away from the other wall. That definitely causes some swirling I wouldnt get in other places.

Thanks for the help. The T would work best for my installation because I can use the current 45's and thimble that I alraedy purchased. This will definitely save me a few bucks. Thanks again...

Please note that Simpson currently has two types of venting out there. The PelletPro is the newest and the older stuff is either pellet or corn venting. You need to get it to match what you have. The Pellet starts with a "30" Corn starts with "330" and the Pro stuff starts with "3PVP" for 3 inch vent. Part number should be on the stickers.

Which do you use if you are going to burn corn and pellets?

You can see for yourself...

Catalogue link posted above???

Status
Not open for further replies.