4" Duravent T leaking smoke on start up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
I noticed after the last coupe of cleanings that I could smell a little smoke in the living room. The stove has now been off for almost a month. Sunday I cleaned the flue for the season and then got up to outdoor temps at 49 and my house at 68. Before the oil heat trips on I decided to light the stove because also I was interested in this smoke issue on start up. Well had a flashlight ready this time( the T is in my fireplace), sure enough as the fire box smoked up just before lighting off, there it was. Looks like smoke coming out of the joint of the T itself. Not the interlocking connections or t to flex connection, not the clean out cap and thankfully not the stove anywhere. But right through the T joint. Wondering if red silicone might seal that up. It doesn't seem loose or broken. Once the stove lights off there is no odor and I do not get a flame from a grill lighter to respond around any of the joints ( not getting sucked in or blown away).

My setup is almost identical to yours. The pellet stove flue outlet runs into a T in the fireplace, then 4" all the way up to the top, run inside an old 8" fireplace flue. I have the exact same smoke issue you describe here. It tends to happen when all of these conditions are true: 1. After a thorough flue cleaning 2. The outside temp is "warm" (in the 40s or higher) and 3. at stove light time. In short, it happens at the beginning of the heating season - each time I light the stove, when it's not *really* cold outside yet. The amount of smoke I get is very small. It's funny, the smoke is enough to detect via smell, but still nearly impossible to see, even with a flashlight directly on the affected flue area. I might see a little tiny column of smoke, but it disappears quickly. The cause is a subtle air leak, and the warm weather means you are not getting as strong of a draft to pull the smoke up the flue. As soon as the stove gets past the lighting stage, and the combustion fan really kicks in to get the air flow moving, no more smoke. I have also tried lighting a fireplace lighter in the area of the leak to see if there is enough air to move or affect the flame; nope. A little high temp silicon will definitely remedy the problem. For me, I have not been able to pinpoint the exact source, and believe me I have tried. The good news is, as it gets colder outside, the issue takes care of itself. In my case, it generally clears up within the first two weeks of the heating season. I believe the combination of the colder weather providing a stronger draft, in addition to the thin layer of the light brown ash that forms inside the flue naturally sealing the air leak, both effectively take care of the problem. Would I prefer to seal it with silicone? Yes, but so far I haven't been able to ID the exact location of the air leak, and since it takes care of itself so quickly, I've just accepted it as the norm.

My setup is almost identical to yours. The pellet stove flue outlet runs into a T in the fireplace, then 4" all the way up to the top, run inside an old 8" fireplace flue. I have the exact same smoke issue you describe here. It tends to happen when all of these conditions are true: 1. After a thorough flue cleaning 2. The outside temp is "warm" (in the 40s or higher) and 3. at stove light time. In short, it happens at the beginning of the heating season - each time I light the stove, when it's not *really* cold outside yet. The amount of smoke I get is very small. It's funny, the smoke is enough to detect via smell, but still nearly impossible to see, even with a flashlight directly on the affected flue area. I might see a little tiny column of smoke, but it disappears quickly. The cause is a subtle air leak, and the warm weather means you are not getting as strong of a draft to pull the smoke up the flue. As soon as the stove gets past the lighting stage, and the combustion fan really kicks in to get the air flow moving, no more smoke. I have also tried lighting a fireplace lighter in the area of the leak to see if there is enough air to move or affect the flame; nope. A little high temp silicon will definitely remedy the problem. For me, I have not been able to pinpoint the exact source, and believe me I have tried. The good news is, as it gets colder outside, the issue takes care of itself. In my case, it generally clears up within the first two weeks of the heating season. I believe the combination of the colder weather providing a stronger draft, in addition to the thin layer of the light brown ash that forms inside the flue naturally sealing the air leak, both effectively take care of the problem. Would I prefer to seal it with silicone? Yes, but so far I haven't been able to ID the exact location of the air leak, and since it takes care of itself so quickly, I've just accepted it as the norm.
Thanks, I think I will seal mine. I'm reasonably sure it's coming from the seams in the T. I could see smoke but it wasn't very long lasting. As soon as the flame is clear the smoke is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.