!/4 or 3/8 impact

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenskip1

Sep 17, 2006
Waynesville Missouri
Gentleman,I used a mans battery operated 1/4 Dewalt impact driver (18 volt) and fell in love with it. My question is do any of you use a tool of this type? I have a 1/2 drive air operated impact gun along with a 3/8 air ratchet.My primary use will be small engine repair.I was nosing about on line and I am unsure what drive (1/4 or 3/8) to get! the 1/4 has 1550 inch pounds of torque.I think this one would do.Anyone have an opinion? Thanks, Ken

I use a 1/2 inch dewalt 24 volt electric impact driver. Kinda like the advice on stoves, buy a little one and you will wish you bought a bigger one, buy A BIGGER ONE, and only use it to its full capacity when needed, but at least it will be there in the reserves for you.

1550 inch pounds / 12 inches per foot = 129 foot pounds. So that is a decent amount, but not overly huge. I'd think it should work for most small engine bolts, though. Guess it would just fall to how the weight and battery life of the tools fit what you want to do. If you don't mind swinging the extra weight of the 3/8 and the battery life is acceptable, it would have more power and a wider range of applications. If you need light weight / longer battery life, then the 1/4 is the way to go and you could always step up to the 1/2" for really tough jobs. The other side of it is what is your too selection like? I have gobs of common sockets in 3/8". My 1/2" drive tends to be the larger stuff and 1/4" is the smaller stuff. You can always stick in an adapter, but it always seems to work better just having the right socket.

Ken, I share your enjoyment of battery operated impact drivers for occasional work. Even though the instructions state the 1/4" drive will handle up to 1550 in. lbs. or 129 ft. lbs. of torque, I would be afraid if that amount of torque were applied to the 1/4" square male part on a regular basis, it would eventually "round off" and need to be replaced.

That much torque (129 ft. lbs.) is frequently used to mount rims on automobiles. I just do not believe a 1/4" drive would handle that. If I were using up to 120 ft. lbs. of torque on a regular basis I would use a 1/2" drive impact driver. John_M

At 129 ft-lbs you would destroy the 1/4" drive. It's BS. 1/4" drive stuff is for hand tools. I thought you mistyped the subject line and meant 3/4" or 1/2" drive. All of my impact gear is 1/2" or bigger.

1/4" drive impact gun is like using a hammer to set push pins into a cork bulletin board.

Highbeam said:
At 129 ft-lbs you would destroy the 1/4" drive. It's BS. 1/4" drive stuff is for hand tools. I thought you mistyped the subject line and meant 3/4" or 1/2" drive. All of my impact gear is 1/2" or bigger.

1/4" drive impact gun is like using a hammer to set push pins into a cork bulletin board.

That's about what I was thinking.

is it 1/4/ square drive?? or is it hex drive??
I have a dewalt 18 volt hex drive for about 7 years now.
you use an adapter to get to 1/4 square
dont know what the torque rating is but it will break the hex shank
I use it as a 1/4 inch and adapt to 3/8 inch
it has been bullet proof as far as the tool itself
very handy for smaller bolts
also works great for driving long deck screws
doesn't strip out the heads
I have found it very useful, its not going to replace your 1/2 inch stuff
but you will use it alot and it has great power

I don't have any electric impacts, but I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 air driven impacts. based on the tools I have, I would get a 3/8 drive. For auto repair, I almost use my 3/8 more than my 1/2. The 1/4 impact is probably my least used tool - I've had it for almost 20 years and it still looks new. I use the 1/4 drive for removing things with lots of small fasteners like oil pans, body parts, etc. It's smaller, lighter, and faster than my 3/8 and really works well for those situations. I can't recall any time I've ever used it to install something on a car, but I did use my 1/4 drive for screws in pole barn siding before I got a cordless drill - it's more controllable and lighter than a corded drill.

Not really sure I even understant the purpose behind the existence of a 1/4" impact driver.

the point of a battery operated impact is that they are more efficient at driving screws in wood. more screws per battery than a drill/driver.

I have no idea or experience how this translates to mechanical work. If I need to use an impact it's air operated and 1/2" or 1", but then I don't mind spinning the ratchet myself IF I can break it loose easily.

correction, IMHO the hex drive impacts are designed for carpenters (1/4"hex screw bits), anything that's square drive I would assume is designed for mechanics, again not sure if there's any difference besides the drive.

The point behind a 1/4 air impact was to have something light, small, and fast for removing a lot of small fasteners. Things like transmission pans, fenders, oil pans, etc. In my case it was a tool I bought because it looked cool and I had a little use for it at the time. I doubt anyone would have a reason to have one unless they have a reason to use it professionally.

Cordless impact drivers have just about eliminated cordless drills on job sites around here. They're small, light, and powerful. That's from a carpenters perspective. In a auto mechanics shop the big pneumatic impacts are what you want.

What I am going to use this for is working on mowers, changing blades pulling small engines down, removing and installing chainsaw bars,deck work (bearings) on riding mowers.From what I had read is this tool is an ideal candidate! I have a 3/8 air ratchet and a 1/2 inch impact gun for all stationary projects.Ken

Ken said:
What I am going to use this for is working on mowers, changing blades pulling small engines down, removing and installing chainsaw bars,deck work (bearings) on riding mowers.From what I had read is this tool is an ideal candidate! I have a 3/8 air ratchet and a 1/2 inch impact gun for all stationary projects.Ken

I would say it is the perfect tool for what you want
I use mine for all the carpenter things and
working on the golf carts, mowers, tractors etc
also transmission pans, rear end covers when changing fluids
no hoses and plenty of power
great for disassembly, I still like to put things together by hand
so I can feel the torque applied
the small impact will break bolts or overtighten
also run the lug nuts up snug before torqing them
which nobody does correctly anymore
I come from an aircraft background and the engineers dont
make this stuff up for no reason