4-Pallet Holtz Hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
What's the estimate on the amount of wood a 4-Pallet Holtz H would hold if stacked 6' high? How about 7'? The pallets are 4'x40" I think.
I've searched but didn't find anyting...if I missed it just point me to the thread.
This would be my first HH, so is this a good size to start with? I'm looking for space savings, but need to maximize air exposure as my whole yard is shaded, so I want to go as small & tall as practical.

Thanks for the link.
Yep, that's why I didn't try to calculate. Too many variables when everything is all round & tapered & loose-thrown...
But if those #'s are even close, I need to go smaller. It'll prob be winter before I've scounged another 3-4 cord for 2011/12 & I need to get what I have stacked-up.

Oh, and just for the record I'm not buying the whole chimney effect & 20% shrinkage factor thing. Chimney effect needs a heat or pressure dif to operate. My wood won't generate heat 'till it's in the stove & setting-up a bernoulli (sp?) effect with a woodpile seems rather...optimistic. Pile shrinkage is likely more from settling than moisture release. But lottsa wood drying in a nic compact shape? I'll try it.

I built one on 4 pallets this past winter. You will have a cylander and a cone(the top). Mine was 5' tall for the cylander and 8' at top of the cone. Came to 1.8 cords
cyl = Pi * radius squared * height = 3.142 * (3.5 * 3.5) * 5
cone = (3.142 * (3.5 * 3.5) * 3)/3

Attachments

• DSC02054w.jpg
    DSC02054w.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 594
Okay, thanks & nice work.
FWIW I get ~230 on your #'s. That'd be 1.8 cord if stacked normally. Assuming a HH lies somewhere btwn a stacked cord (128ft ³ ) and thrown cord (~180ft ³ish). You may be a bit on the high side.
That's probably splitting hairs though. I think I have a handle on the thing now.

[quote author="midwestcoast" date="1279062831"]Okay, thanks & nice work.
FWIW I get ~230 on your #'s. That'd be 1.8 cord if stacked normally. Assuming a HH lies somewhere btwn a stacked cord (128ft ³ ) and thrown cord (~180ft ³ish). You may be a bit on the high side.
quote]

True - although I'm not convinced there is that much of a difference... could be?
One thing I found - I could get more in the same foot print by stacking in a big rectangle (laying the pallets in same rectangle). May or may not season as well though.

You'd have to come up with a strange, tough to spellname for it though. Holds Moreson??

I think guys here call it a Heap Hauszen .... LOL

For the 4 pallet (assuming standard 48" x 40" pallets) rectangle if you go:
8' * 6.67' (80") * 5' = 266 / 128 = 2.08 cords

One of the theory's of the HH is that you can get more on a footprint - I just dont see it mathmatically.

Now it was fun to build, adds a different look to the wood piles an becomes a conversation piece. I will probably do it again just for those reasons when this one meets its destiny.

I built one on 4 pallets and my original one was a full 10 foot diameter one. No comparison in the amount of wood. I estimate 2 cords in the 4 pallets and probably 4 to 5 in the 10 foot diameter one. The 10 footer looks alot better because the roof doesn't neet to slope so quickly and more room on the inside. Although it will probably season faster in the smaller one. Just remember to keep the wood sloping inwards. I found on the 4 pallet one I had to frequently put cross pieces to keep it sloping inwards because my 20 inch pieces kept bumping into one and other.

Thanks GolfandWood, I'll be lucky to fill out a smaller HH with the wood I get through the summer. I now have 3 pallets & I got an hours' more spiltting done tonight (by headlamp :roll: ) on the red oak & mulberry I scrounged on the weekend. I scouted out another 1/2 load of oak on the way home today, so I may even start building this this by this weekend. I'm not good for much voluntary labor in 90 °F + weather though I we've got familly coming so we'll see. I could prob get a bit of help from by BIL if it doesn't get too hot.

[quote author="midwestcoast" date="1279056335]
Oh, and just for the record I'm not buying the whole chimney effect & 20% shrinkage factor thing. Chimney effect needs a heat or pressure dif to operate. My wood won't generate heat 'till it's in the stove & setting-up a bernoulli (sp?) effect with a woodpile seems rather...optimistic. Pile shrinkage is likely more from settling than moisture release. [/quote]

Never built one and never will, but shrinkage is generally accepted as true around here, maybe not 20%, is that the holzhausen goal?

Also you don't have a heat source in that thing but it will be cooler from the evaporation of water, 1000 btus for every pound of water, it's theoretically possible that would be enough to cause the air to sink and flow out the bottom of the stack? If you have a dry still day it might make a difference for that day.

I don't think my holz hausen create any chimney effect, but they do shrink. My approximately 5.5 ft tall at the top of the cylinder holz hausen have shrunk about a foot since I built them. I do not think the wood has shifted much, if at all. I think each piece of wood has shrunk. I find the advantages of holz hausen are that they look nice and don't fall over like normal stacks can do. i get the impression that wood seasons about the same rate in a holz hausen as in a typical stack. i am sure a long, thin stack only one split thick would be better, but I am not in a big hurry so I'll stick with the holz hausen.

Wood Duck, I agree. My HH shrunk in heigth considerably. The best part about it is the conversation piece, and they just look alot better than regular stacks, and they are extremely strong. I tend to stack both ways depending on my land. I think I will start a thread shortly on wood villages. I have the row houses, the little wood house(4 pallet HH), and the big wood house (HH). And even some places in the sticks.

Its hard to see in the picture I posted but when I built the HH I put a metal pole in the middle with a black rubber ring to mark the top/peak. Its been about 6 months and the peak is now down approx 10".

As for the "wood villages" - I cracked up. I call my village "woodland". My kids want me to put up street signs, all named for the various woods I have. I'm up to about (last measured in April at 16 cord and have added atleast 1 more cord, with enough rounds ready for splitting to get another) 17 cord c/s/s in a number of different stacks all in the same area. Just this past wknd I placed a set of pallets on an undeveloped side of one of my streets and started stacking with some splits I had piled up.

Got Wood said:
Its hard to see in the picture I posted but when I built the HH I put a metal pole in the middle with a black rubber ring to mark the top/peak. Its been about 6 months and the peak is now down approx 10".

As for the "wood villages" - I cracked up. I call my village "woodland". My kids want me to put up street signs, all named for the various woods I have. I'm up to about (last measured in April at 16 cord and have added atleast 1 more cord, with enough rounds ready for splitting to get another) 17 cord c/s/s in a number of different stacks all in the same area. Just this past wknd I placed a set of pallets on an undeveloped side of one of my streets and started stacking with some splits I had piled up.

Funny Got Wood, I will also have to post a picture soon. It is really wierd by I have my 4 pallet HH right next to a big oak with a row behind just like you do. It could be my picture. Rather strange.

I also thought about street names like name by spiecies, Locust Way, Cherry Lane. Good to see there are other wood nuts out there.

Got Wood said:
I think guys here call it a Heap Hauszen .... LOL

Hmmm...I have heard it called that before...but where.....????? :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.