4" Stove pipe brush recommendations please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deercamp

Jan 3, 2013
se mass
I am looking for some advice on what brand brush I should get. It's a straight 4" pipe about 18' long. I am looking for something of good quality that will work well and last me.
Ty

Hey Ty,

Lot's of options for vent brushing, with many folks using the combo pellet vent / dryer vent brush, others get the pellet vent specific ones made by Rutland Company, Grianger, among others. Many folks swear by the Linteater, that you can hook up to a drill and spin the brush while you move it up and down the venting.

If you get that style system, make sure you have the drill going in the forward direction, and not reverse it by mistake, or it will disconnect the rod sections in the venting and make for a PITA to get out ! After getting the connections pliers tight, I duct taped the rod junctions on my vent brush to prevent that.

Whatever brush you decide to go with, I'd recommend buying one with bristles that are made of poly rather than steel, the latter being more common in wood stove chimney flue sweeping, but if used in pellet venting can scratch the inside vent surfaces and make them more prone to accelerated corrosion.

Use the search link to query "vent brushing" and "Linteater brush" and you will find tons of threads on this topic to help you further. Good luck!

If you want something quality, I would look into Wohler. They are not cheap but they make a very good flexible wind up solution which will last a long time. You can get different brushes based on your need. It will pay for itself in a few years.

Personally like the Rutland products. As DMKNLD said, get a poly, not metal, brush.

If you get that style system, make sure you have the drill going in the forward direction, and not reverse it by mistake, or it will disconnect the rod sections in the venting and make for a PITA to get out !

Just running the brush by hand is enough to unscrew the joint if they're only finger tight and you're going around a 90 or 2.

And as for getting the brush out after it free's itself, really not so tough, the bottom of a coffee can cut 3/4" or smaller than the pipe ID and attach it to the flex rods and pull it thru the pipe. Not such a big deal after you get past the initial surprise and cussing.

I use a lint eater.

I think i will give the lint eater a try. Should I get on top of the roof and do it from the top of the pipe down with my Powersmith ash vacuum below?

Lint Eater. You can buy extra extensions if needed. But remember not to run the drill in reverse.

You can run from the top down or vice versa. Both will work.

I think lowes sells a nice dryer vent cleaner.. I purchased the brush and 2 ...4' extensions... have held up for 3 seasons and were very reasonable

I picked up a toilet brush a wallyworld, its 4 1/4 inch round has a 12 inch handle with a hole you can tie a rope to, 8 years old and still working well, don't remember what it cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.