4'' to 3'' exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbers10

Feb 8, 2011
North Eastern Nevada
My current stove has a 3'' exhaust and the new one that is on the way has a 4'' exhaust. Can I use a short length of 4'' - 3'' pipe to make this new stove fit into my current configuration with out replacing everything, or am I looking for trouble by doing that? Thanks for the help

hobbers10 said:
My current stove has a 3'' exhaust and the new one that is on the way has a 4'' exhaust. Can I use a short length of 4'' - 3'' pipe to make this new stove fit into my current configuration with out replacing everything, or am I looking for trouble by doing that? Thanks for the help

You can increase but not decrease. There is a reason for the 4".

Eric

How long is the current run you have? Is it Vert or Horz? What stove is hooked up to it now? How does it run? What stove did you buy, that is going to replace it? Most stoves come with a 3" receptacle on the back. Then you would put a 4" adapter on it. Check the owners manual for EVL listing. It will tell you what the minimum length you can have for 3" pipe.

I currently have an old Breckwell, not sure the exact model. I'm replacing it with an Enviro Maxx. I'm sure the Enviro has a 4'' out and the breckwell has a 3. I currently have a vertical setup. The pipe on the outside of the house looks to be larger than 3'' so I'm thinking I would only have a small section on the inside of the house that would need to 4'' to 3''. The breckwell runs fine but my concern is if the Enviro will run okay if I create a bottle-neck of sorts by tapping into the current 3'' setup. Am I making sense? Maybe a picture would help. I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Some of the older stoves have a large flue. (6" in some cases) Most new stoves have a 3" collar on the back of the stove. The Enviro Maxx also has a 3" collar on it. So as long as your EVL is under what Enviro calls for the 3" pipe you have will work. You will not need a 4" to 3" reducer. The Maxx is a large stove, and it will definitely breathe better with 4". Depending on the flue collar height of your Breckwell, you may need to modify it to meet the new collar height of the Enviro. Exactly how is your piping "set-up" now. The picture would help, or the current lengths and angles you have. (Horz and Vert)
I.E.- Clean-out T, to 3 feet Vert, to 90, to 3 feet Horz, to Termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.