1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

4 ton fireside Ultras Stacked and ready!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by ktfinch2000, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Well it took the wife, Neighbor and myself 2 hours to move 4 ton from driveway to basement. I also included a picture of my homemade pellet sifter. I open a few bags pour them in the tote then I sift them and dump them into my coal hod then I carry them up stairs to the stove. These pellets burn great by the way! Thanks

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Randyb

Randyb New Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region NH
    I don't use pellets at all, but now I'm curious, why do you have to sift them?
  3. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    pellets come in bags and when you move them during shipping stacking etc. they break apart a little and when you dump this into your hopper the excess fines can pack together and bind up the auger in the stove. I sift them to get most of the fines out before I load them in to the stove thanks
  4. jrousell

jrousell New Member

Loc:
    Adirondack Mtns. NY
    I was goign to ask the same thing about teh sifter.

I have not had that problem yet...
  5. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    As being a past competition shooter who loaded his own, have you ever heard of a media separator? Dillon makes one where you could put a bunch of pellets in and turn the handle and out comes the good?

Just a thought if you were going to do a whole bunch at once.

Shipper
  6. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    I figure this should do me good it cost me 16 bucks for the tote and strainer and I can keep all the mess in the basement. I load 3 or 4 bags of pellets into the tote and take 5 scoops with the strainer to fill my coal hod. Then its up the stairs to my stove to load so its easy enough. The coal hod just about fills my hopper with one load. The pellets really don't have many fines but I like to be sure there is not to much going into my stove.
  7. jeff6443

jeff6443 New Member

Loc:
    NJ South
    What do you do with the fines are you keeping a record of the weight cus that will effect your cost say one pound per bag loss I dont know
  8. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    I would say there is maybe a half ounce of fines maybe less. I'm just anal about keeping the stove clean. I have burned in it for about 2 days total and I have cleaned inside firebox and removed the side panels and gave it a quick vacuum twice. I know it will probably be cleaned a bit less when the stove is going 24/7 but I will still clean it out 1-2 times a week. thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.