1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

4-way splitter Wedge or no?

Post in 'The Gear' started by MNBobcat, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MNBobcat

MNBobcat Member

Loc:
    Minnesota
    Hi Guys,

I just built a splitter for my skidsteer. It has an 8 foot reinforced I-beam. 5 inch diameter cylinder, 3 foot stroke. Should be about 30 ton.

Its built for splitting huge rounds. I have a horizontal splitter I'll use for the smaller stuff. With the new splitter, I can wedge the round in the splitter and lift the round off the ground and hold it over the trailer. Then I hit a button and it splits and the pieces fall into my trailer. However, on the large rounds after splitting they usually need to be split again (quartered, at least) to be of a size I can handle them to throw into my wood boiler.

I'm considering adding a 4-way wedge. Either hydraulic-adjustable or welded permanent.

Are any of you splitting big rounds with a 4-way wedge? Do you like it? How about if you split a smaller round....I assume the pieces end up too small?

Just thinking out loud here trying to decide what I should do.

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Removable 4 way. Best of both worlds. And we needs to sees some pics or this whole conversation never happened....;)
    711mhw and amateur cutter like this.
  3. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    ==c
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I have used a hyd. adjustable 4 way and loved it. the only way I'd do one. To "diasble" it you just ran it down flat on the beam so it was out of the way. I wouldn't want one welded permanently.