4-way splitting wedge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Open them with Microsoft Photo Editor
Under Image menu, select resize
In the dialog that pops up, change from inches to pixels
Set the width to 1200 and save

Check the file size to make sure it is less than 450k...if still bigger, go back and set the width smaller.

I went to the webmasters notes and downloaded Picasa and let's see...

Attachments

• splitter 4.jpg
    splitter 4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 419
and again.....

I think I got it so I'll add that it was a three year old piece of maple, 13" at the small end.

Attachments

• splitter 1.jpg
    splitter 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 379
  • splitter 2.jpg
    splitter 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 402
  • splitter 3.jpg
    splitter 3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 356
  • splitter 4.jpg
    splitter 4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 338
I am interested in building a wedge myself. It seems easy, but the impression I am getting is the are some 'gotchas' I am not seeing. Any idea what the main design concerns are?

Was the gentleman that built your wedge able to take the details of your design over the phone? Or can I throw something together with Google Sketchup or something?

Work Less Play More said:
Was the gentleman that built your wedge able to take the details of your design over the phone? Or can I throw something together with Google Sketchup or something?

He asked what he needed to know and I gave it to him.
Real easy.

kenny chaos said:
The whole Beaver shot.

Sweet. How does the log get cut? The 6 way made quick work of that round.

SolarAndWood said:
kenny chaos said:
The whole Beaver shot.

I have it nice. I actually don't have to cut my wood with a saw, only pick it up and split it. My wife is a marathon runner, and with her obsessive mileage, sooner or later she runs across a tree service cutting a tree. Since she has no shame, she makes the contact for me; I simply just show up as ordered and pick up wood.

SolarAndWood said:
kenny chaos said:
The whole Beaver shot.

You can see the hydraulic lines and the mount for my frugal attempt at the saw.
I'm using a chain saw now until the money opens up for the proper set-up
lest I come up with something in the mean time.

Gotcha. Splitting has always been where my process gets stuck. I always seem to have 4 or 5 cord of rounds waiting to be split. Hoping the 6 way will fix that.

Don't say you weren't warned about the power needed for a 6-way in hardwoods.
Let me know how things work out or if you want to stop by, pm me.

No guts, no glory:) Thanks for sharing your experience, you probably saved me at least one round of failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.