1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

4 way wedge

Post in 'The Gear' started by FireNewbie, Mar 11, 2010.

1. FireNewbie

FireNewbie Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Question: Does anyone know if the troybuilt 27 ton splitter can handle a 4way wedge? I was thinking of having a buddy weld one up, but wasn't sure if it had enough power for it. I guess what type of wood to be split would play a factor... Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kwikrp

kwikrp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I think it will have enough power, I have one but can not find a 4 way that will fit a troy bilt. If you find one that will fit please let me know i will buy one too !!
  3. iceman

iceman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Springfield Ma (western mass)
    [quote author="kwikrp" date="1268374536"]I think it will have enough power, I have one but can not find a 4 way that will fit a troy bilt. If you find one that will fit please let me know i will buy one too !![

/quote]http://www.freewebs.com/logsplitter/
  4. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I am running a timberwolf Tw3hd , Its a 3point Pto splitter ( 22ton ) It came standard with a 4 way head , and I bought the optional 6 way head and use that quite a bit . I dont think I have ever used the splitter with out at least the 4 way head on . So I would think for sure your 27 ton would handle a 4 way head .
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    What I don't like about those Robert Collopy wedges on a moving wedge design is that they are angled top and bottom. This creates lift on the slide. They should be angled only on the top and straight on the bottom like a wood chisel.
  6. webie

webie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I had to read this over like twice till I finally figured out what you were talking about , ( sorry a little solw I worked all night )
    The actual wedge for the the first split is fine as a V but LLigetfa is right the 4 way part should be flat or even at a slight taper up as similar to a wood chisel or your secondary splitting your splits will wedge tight .
    Since this is a custom shop I am sure he could probably do that with out a problem .
  7. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    I'm looking at getting this same wedge for my 27 ton, anyone get one and have a review? Saw someone on arboristsite that has one and likes it.
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
  9. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    There is a guy that makes them for troy built and had the adress at one point. I will look again. At one point I was going to buy it, but decided against it with the wood I get.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
  12. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Yep, that is why I said I am looking to get the same wedge :)

Iceman posted the same link and why I mentioned arboristsite in my question.

If anyone has this wedge I would sure love to hear more about how it runs on your splitter.
  13. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    smokinj likes this.
  14. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Got mine ordered, will post a review of it when I get it later this month.
    smokinj likes this.