4-Wheeler Recommendations: Value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Greetings,
I'm Jonesin for a new toy, so I've been kicking around the idea of a utility 4-wheeler (I've owned sport bikes: Honda's venerable 250R, Warrior, 250EX, Quadracer, etc.). I would be using it for trail riding and yard work (trailer for wood processing, moving travel trailer, etc.) so I would like 4-wheel drive.

QUESTION: Is there a machine that is a 'great' value for the money? For example, the Yamaha Warrior (2WD, not utility) was made for almost 20 years with little changes, so one could pick up a used one cheap ($1500 or so) and have plenty of parts/service support.

Thanks,

S

I priced out a few quads and think that for the money I would rather pick up garden tractor or SCUT. Now if I could afford both...

I use mine for various work: Plow snow, haul wood, haul logs, haul compost, haul rocks, haul dirt, haul moose, trail ride to/from moose & fishing camps & various yard & garden jobs.
So many options out there. Pick one that will mostly fit what you are trying to do with it.
Smaller & light weight is nice when you get'm stuck :) . + a winch.

LLigetfa, I've already got a 20HP garden tractor, but the mowing deck, clearance, and wheels make it not as good an option for less than perfect terrain, i.e. snowy, hilly, etc.

bogy, I know there are many uses I probably haven't thought of, but I need to get one first!

Any other suggestions for VALUE/PRICE?

Thanks!

S

thinkxingu said:
LLigetfa, I've already got a 20HP garden tractor...
I was not talking lawn mower. I have a 20HP yard tractor but it's only 2WD and as you say doesn't have the clearance and traction to go in the rough. I was thinking more along the lines of a 'bota 4WD with FEL. A quad is second on my fantasy list.

I also have a Polaris Sportsman 500 EFX with the 2 up seat and dump basket in the back. I just got done cutting a cord of cherry and hauling the wood out with it...it works great. I plow snow with it too, and my kids and I have a blast riding it for fun when we can. I really like the Polaris quads.

I had nice utility quad; a honda foreman 500 4x4. I traded it in on a Gator XUV 4x4 side-by-side and couldn't be happier. I'd suggest looking for a used UTV, like maybe an older Gator 6x6 or something along those lines with a nice sized bed you can fill up with wood. Even if you have to finance a little they're definately worth it!

The reason I am leaning towards a 4-wheeler is size, money, and duplicity. I only have 1/2 an acre, so I wouldn't be using it to pull wood around all that much. I have two trailers, and the 4-wheeler would be easier to fit through the fence gate and around the yard. Also, if I want to take it to a site, it would be easier. Second, money. I think that's self-explanatory. Third, duplicity--I would be able to use the quad both for work and play.

It looks like the Polaris Sportsman is the value--people seem to like them and they're selling for $2500-4000 on Craigslist. Hondas are all $4k plus for late models.

S

There's lots of good ATVs out there . . . I'm particularly fond of Hondas when it comes to working ATVs. They might not have the latest and greatest stuff (i.e. for a long time they resisted disc brakes, independent rear suspension, etc.) but when you sit in them you feel as though you're lower to the ground (good for stablity) without sacrificing a lot of ground clearance (although they do not have the best ground clearance.) Add to this Honda's bullet-proof engines and reliablity, the gearing which you control (vs. fully automatic) and quite honestly the solid rear axle is pretty useful for working. If you were to look at a decent Honda model for work/play that has been around for awhile your best bet would probably be a Honda Foreman . . . they did up-grade the engines over the years and add in a few extra features, but they are pretty much the same machine. Excellent all-around working machines . . . not the largest cc engines compared to many on the market today . . . but if you're looking for affordability and dependability this might be the machine for you -- excellent for work, good for trail riding. I use mine for plowing snow, hauling wood, hauling gravel, etc. . . . and occasionally I get to ride the trails. ;)

That said, another excellent choice has also been mentioned. The Polaris Sportsman 500 . . . this machine gets high marks for being a working and trail riding machine. I would say while it is very capable to do whatever you would want to do in the woods, where the Polaris really shines is in its ride. The ride of the indepedent rear suspension vs. the solid axle is night-and-day . . . a Polaris would be much more enjoyable to ride on a long trail ride. I believe the Polaris also offers more ground clearance, but whenever I've been on a Polaris I always feel as though I'm sitting up pretty high and while the fully automatic transmission is nice on the trails, I like the idea of being able to control the gearing myself by shifting up or down when and where I feel it works best. However, as I said, there are many, many folks who use the Polaris as working ATVs and they do well. If you do opt for a Polaris I would strongly suggest avoiding the older ones which had a chain drive (although they haven't been on the market for some time now.)

Im in agreement with FFjake on hondas. I have a 86 and a '83. No they dont have the power of my 650 bombardier but ill bet they out last it. CHECK AROUND i have seen dealers be as much as 1500 bucks different. My cousin saved about 1200 dollars by driving 5 hrs out of state to get a new quad. Before fuel thats more than a 100 bucks and hour. Hey im in on that kinda money. I dont like Polaris because of ther 4wd system. If it stayed locked in 4wd all the time they might be better suited for my mountain terrain. Well at leasst the older ppolaris quads were that way and i think they still are someone can correct me if im wrong. The front tires just pull when the back ones start slipping.

firefighterjake said:
There's lots of good ATVs out there . . . I'm particularly fond of Hondas when it comes to working ATVs. They might not have the latest and greatest stuff (i.e. for a long time they resisted disc brakes, independent rear suspension, etc.) but when you sit in them you feel as though you're lower to the ground (good for stablity) without sacrificing a lot of ground clearance (although they do not have the best ground clearance.) Add to this Honda's bullet-proof engines and reliablity, the gearing which you control (vs. fully automatic) and quite honestly the solid rear axle is pretty useful for working. If you were to look at a decent Honda model for work/play that has been around for awhile your best bet would probably be a Honda Foreman . . . they did up-grade the engines over the years and add in a few extra features, but they are pretty much the same machine. Excellent all-around working machines . . . not the largest cc engines compared to many on the market today . . . but if you're looking for affordability and dependability this might be the machine for you -- excellent for work, good for trail riding. I use mine for plowing snow, hauling wood, hauling gravel, etc. . . . and occasionally I get to ride the trails. ;)

That said, another excellent choice has also been mentioned. The Polaris Sportsman 500 . . . this machine gets high marks for being a working and trail riding machine. I would say while it is very capable to do whatever you would want to do in the woods, where the Polaris really shines is in its ride. The ride of the indepedent rear suspension vs. the solid axle is night-and-day . . . a Polaris would be much more enjoyable to ride on a long trail ride. I believe the Polaris also offers more ground clearance, but whenever I've been on a Polaris I always feel as though I'm sitting up pretty high and while the fully automatic transmission is nice on the trails, I like the idea of being able to control the gearing myself by shifting up or down when and where I feel it works best. However, as I said, there are many, many folks who use the Polaris as working ATVs and they do well. If you do opt for a Polaris I would strongly suggest avoiding the older ones which had a chain drive (although they haven't been on the market for some time now.)

I use this every day to check the horse trail area.
I only use it as a scout vehicle. 4 1/2 miles 2x daily

I have other equipment for for repairs.

Attachments

• Pool 1 008_2.jpg
    Pool 1 008_2.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 424
  • Pool 1 010_1.jpg
    Pool 1 010_1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 404
I completely agree, looking for a used utility four-wheeler 2003 or older, Honda is in a class of its own as a workhorse.
Most manufacturers have caught up now on the stoutness of their utility machines because they had to.

well, one other option is to do what my dad did. He went out to buy a 4-wheeler and came home later that day with a Suzuki Samurai. It's barely wider than a 4-wheeler. Cost the same, and you can drive it to town when you are done in the field or timber. for him, it was a much better choice. Now he's got two.

Value...They are all overpriced.

I have a yamaha grizzly, polaris sportsman 500, kawasaki brute force 750 and a bunch of sports quads as well as a Polaris Crew SXS. I would check out the side by sides. Very cool machines and about as narrow/ nimble.

As far as ATV's go you cant really go wrong. I have had bad luck with Polaris but i am convinced i got a lemon. (Broken frame, joints, shafts, starter) I would definately look at used machines. My 05 Grizzly has 4800 miles on it and we have never spent a dime on it other than maintenance. We bought it used for about $2000 less than MSRP. When buying used parts online parts are very easy to get for the Griz 660 vs. the Kawasaki's or Polaris.

Now, I'm gonna really throw a wrench into it...

A few years ago, I bought a LATE '80s Cushman/Jacobson "Turf Truckster" at auction for $587.88 (including tax!). Manual 3 speed (or 6 speed - if you include low range) transmission, remote hydraulics, PTO, dump box, hand throttle/foot throttle.
No - no 4 wheel drive, but has 18x18.5x8 fronts, but the rears are a massive 26x10x10, with limited slip. Granted, it doesn't have a heck of alot of ground clearance, about 6 or 7 inches, but if it can't go through it, it'll deferentially go over it.

I did, how ever, have to replace the clutch-p.plate-T.O.B.(~$300), filters (~$50), a few plugs in the tires, bleed the hydraulic brakes, and other miscellaneous stuff, to get it to move/stop under its own power. It still needs a tune up (rotor, cap, wires, plugs), a seat with something more than vinyl over ply-wood (kinda hard on the dari aire) , some TLC, a winch, but it runs... Just gotta get used to a left-hand shift on a right-hand drive....

Now, if you where to buy it "brand new", it'll cost ups upwards of 18K - yes $18,00.00 - for something that is NOT road-legal, and doesn't have all the bells-and-whistles...

Just F.Y.I. - keep your eyes open for the next local D.O.T. auction...

I have 7 four wheelers. They are all 4wd newer utility machines. I ride 1-4 thousand miles a year. In my opinion the suzuki king quad is the best built machine on the market right now. The 450 is a great size and will do all the work you want it to. If you are wanting to run bigger tires or are need of a little more adrenalin the 750 is great. I believe it is the best value for the money.
I am impressed with the polaris sportsman as well but they are not as reliable.
The bombadier is also a excellent rig, but is very expensive.
The hondas are very reliable but there models with in-dependant suspension don't come with low range which ruled them out for me.
Once you have rode a in-dependant suspension machine it is hard to go back to a solid rear axle.

wolfkiller said:
I have 7 four wheelers. They are all 4wd newer utility machines. I ride 1-4 thousand miles a year. In my opinion the suzuki king quad is the best built machine on the market right now. The 450 is a great size and will do all the work you want it to. If you are wanting to run bigger tires or are need of a little more adrenalin the 750 is great. I believe it is the best value for the money.
I am impressed with the polaris sportsman as well but they are not as reliable.
The bombadier is also a excellent rig, but is very expensive.
The hondas are very reliable but there models with in-dependant suspension don't come with low range which ruled them out for me.
Once you have rode a in-dependant suspension machine it is hard to go back to a solid rear axle.

The newer Honda Ranchers have IRS and low range.

Status
Not open for further replies.