1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

40 lbs of pulled pork

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by certified106, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI

That is one sick puppie!:) But I would try a piece of it!

Gary

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Love the bacon wallet:cool:
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You gotta try a Tri-tip steak on your BGE. They're hard to come by, as not all butcher shops order them,
    but MAN are they delicious & tender when you can actually get them. They're also known as Santa Maria
    steaks..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

Geez. I think I'm gonna go hunting for one on the way home....
    Thistle, Defiant and ScotO like this.
  4. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Love the tri-tips, send some this way;) Need a new band for my BGE, anyone know of a good source?
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

I actually last had a tri-tip 'roast' at my ex-SIL's place in Santa Maria (CA) when I went through there last... I never heard of them called a Santa Maria steak before.
  6. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I've never had any trouble finding a Tri-Tip roast. All the stores near where I live carry them routinely. It's one of my favorite cuts of beef. Some folks slice them before grilling. I prefer to grill the roast first, then slice. Grill (after soaking in my secret marinade for a few hours) to just rare by the meat thermo, let sit a few, slice and put the platter on the table. Folks are always pleased, it's delicious stuff. Put out some horseradish sauce for those who are so inclined. I think I'll pass on the above described "lasagna". ;hm Rick
    Defiant likes this.
  7. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Not too hard to find around here.Had a couple in the Weber kettle over scrap mostly Red Oak,little White last Monday night.Marinated 5 hrs in fridge in sea salt,cracked pepper,cumin powder,bit of dried minced garlic,olive oil & red wine vinegar.Following a Santa Maria BBQ recipe that included grilled garlic ciabatta bread & local sweet corn from one of my books. One of the cheapest cuts of beef,sometimes called Sirloin Tip.I really liked it,just as good as Top Sirloin,but costs less.Could only eat 1/2 at once,maybe 5 oz.Great as leftovers though,especially sliced thin across the grain.

Apologies for burning the bread a little,almost forgot to put it on the grill,brought the steaks & corn inside the kitchen,there sat the bread in its paper bag.Run outside with it,lifted the lid & laid it on the grill.Even though I shut the vents almost 10 min earlier,there still was an incredible amount of heat from the coals.You know how hot bone-dry Red & White Oak can get ;) Bread was still very tasty,especially while warm being brushed with extra virgin olive oil & rubbed with a cut garlic clove...::-)

Attached Files:

Defiant and DAKSY like this.
  9. Lewiston

Lewiston Member

Loc:
    South Central, WI
    We're fortunate to have a meat house nearby that will get us any cut we want. I'll kick off August with it and Certified's slaw.
  10. Lewiston

Lewiston Member

Loc:
    South Central, WI
    Looks good to me! How long in the cooker with my keeping it at a steady at 210 degrees? Pork butt and brisket usually take 20-24 hours but only use a softball size of lump charcoal plus flavoring wood. Most beef I marinate with citrus to open the pores, hit it with the rub and let it sit in the ice box for 24 hours.