40 lbs of pulled pork

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done!
This week's BGE item is brisket.

You gotta try a Tri-tip steak on your BGE. They're hard to come by, as not all butcher shops order them,
but MAN are they delicious & tender when you can actually get them. They're also known as Santa Maria
steaks..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

Geez. I think I'm gonna go hunting for one on the way home....

I actually last had a tri-tip 'roast' at my ex-SIL's place in Santa Maria (CA) when I went through there last... I never heard of them called a Santa Maria steak before.

I've never had any trouble finding a Tri-Tip roast. All the stores near where I live carry them routinely. It's one of my favorite cuts of beef. Some folks slice them before grilling. I prefer to grill the roast first, then slice. Grill (after soaking in my secret marinade for a few hours) to just rare by the meat thermo, let sit a few, slice and put the platter on the table. Folks are always pleased, it's delicious stuff. Put out some horseradish sauce for those who are so inclined. I think I'll pass on the above described "lasagna". ;hm Rick

Reactions: Defiant
You gotta try a Tri-tip steak on your BGE. They're hard to come by, as not all butcher shops order them,
but MAN are they delicious & tender when you can actually get them. They're also known as Santa Maria
steaks..

Not too hard to find around here.Had a couple in the Weber kettle over scrap mostly Red Oak,little White last Monday night.Marinated 5 hrs in fridge in sea salt,cracked pepper,cumin powder,bit of dried minced garlic,olive oil & red wine vinegar.Following a Santa Maria BBQ recipe that included grilled garlic ciabatta bread & local sweet corn from one of my books. One of the cheapest cuts of beef,sometimes called Sirloin Tip.I really liked it,just as good as Top Sirloin,but costs less.Could only eat 1/2 at once,maybe 5 oz.Great as leftovers though,especially sliced thin across the grain.

Apologies for burning the bread a little,almost forgot to put it on the grill,brought the steaks & corn inside the kitchen,there sat the bread in its paper bag.Run outside with it,lifted the lid & laid it on the grill.Even though I shut the vents almost 10 min earlier,there still was an incredible amount of heat from the coals.You know how hot bone-dry Red & White Oak can get ;) Bread was still very tasty,especially while warm being brushed with extra virgin olive oil & rubbed with a cut garlic clove...::-)

Attachments

• PICT0067.JPG
    PICT0067.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 151
  • PICT0069.JPG
    PICT0069.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: Defiant and DAKSY
steaks..

We're fortunate to have a meat house nearby that will get us any cut we want. I'll kick off August with it and Certified's slaw.

Not too hard to find around here.Had a couple in the Weber kettle over scrap mostly Red Oak,little White last Monday night.Marinated 5 hrs in fridge in sea salt,cracked pepper,cumin powder,bit of dried minced garlic,olive oil & red wine vinegar.Following a Santa Maria BBQ recipe that included grilled garlic ciabatta bread & local sweet corn from one of my books. One of the cheapest cuts of beef,sometimes called Sirloin Tip.I really liked it,just as good as Top Sirloin,but costs less.Could only eat 1/2 at once,maybe 5 oz.Great as leftovers though,especially sliced thin across the grain.

Apologies for burning the bread a little,almost forgot to put it on the grill,brought the steaks & corn inside the kitchen,there sat the bread in its paper bag.Run outside with it,lifted the lid & laid it on the grill.Even though I shut the vents almost 10 min earlier,there still was an incredible amount of heat from the coals.You know how hot bone-dry Red & White Oak can get ;) Bread was still very tasty,especially while warm being brushed with extra virgin olive oil & rubbed with a cut garlic clove...::-)

Looks good to me! How long in the cooker with my keeping it at a steady at 210 degrees? Pork butt and brisket usually take 20-24 hours but only use a softball size of lump charcoal plus flavoring wood. Most beef I marinate with citrus to open the pores, hit it with the rub and let it sit in the ice box for 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.