certified106 Posted By certified106, Jul 23, 2012 at 8:21 AM

1. Gary_602z

Gary_602z
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 30, 2009
    Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI

That is one sick puppie!:) But I would try a piece of it!

Gary

2. Defiant

Defiant
    Vermont Castings Geek 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2007
    Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Love the bacon wallet:cool:

Eatonpcat likes this.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You gotta try a Tri-tip steak on your BGE. They're hard to come by, as not all butcher shops order them,
    but MAN are they delicious & tender when you can actually get them. They're also known as Santa Maria
    steaks..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

Geez. I think I'm gonna go hunting for one on the way home....

Thistle, Defiant and ScotO like this.
  4. Defiant

Defiant
    Vermont Castings Geek 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2007
    Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Love the tri-tips, send some this way;) Need a new band for my BGE, anyone know of a good source?

5. StihlHead

StihlHead
    Guest 2.
    NULL

I actually last had a tri-tip 'roast' at my ex-SIL's place in Santa Maria (CA) when I went through there last... I never heard of them called a Santa Maria steak before.

6. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    I've never had any trouble finding a Tri-Tip roast. All the stores near where I live carry them routinely. It's one of my favorite cuts of beef. Some folks slice them before grilling. I prefer to grill the roast first, then slice. Grill (after soaking in my secret marinade for a few hours) to just rare by the meat thermo, let sit a few, slice and put the platter on the table. Folks are always pleased, it's delicious stuff. Put out some horseradish sauce for those who are so inclined. I think I'll pass on the above described "lasagna". ;hm Rick

Defiant likes this.
  7. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
  8. Thistle

Thistle
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 16, 2010
    Loc:
    Central IA
    Not too hard to find around here.Had a couple in the Weber kettle over scrap mostly Red Oak,little White last Monday night.Marinated 5 hrs in fridge in sea salt,cracked pepper,cumin powder,bit of dried minced garlic,olive oil & red wine vinegar.Following a Santa Maria BBQ recipe that included grilled garlic ciabatta bread & local sweet corn from one of my books. One of the cheapest cuts of beef,sometimes called Sirloin Tip.I really liked it,just as good as Top Sirloin,but costs less.Could only eat 1/2 at once,maybe 5 oz.Great as leftovers though,especially sliced thin across the grain.

Apologies for burning the bread a little,almost forgot to put it on the grill,brought the steaks & corn inside the kitchen,there sat the bread in its paper bag.Run outside with it,lifted the lid & laid it on the grill.Even though I shut the vents almost 10 min earlier,there still was an incredible amount of heat from the coals.You know how hot bone-dry Red & White Oak can get ;) Bread was still very tasty,especially while warm being brushed with extra virgin olive oil & rubbed with a cut garlic clove...::-)

Attached Files:

Defiant and DAKSY like this.
  9. Lewiston

Lewiston
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jun 17, 2012
    Loc:
    South Central, WI
    We're fortunate to have a meat house nearby that will get us any cut we want. I'll kick off August with it and Certified's slaw.

10. Lewiston

Lewiston
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jun 17, 2012
    Loc:
    South Central, WI
    Looks good to me! How long in the cooker with my keeping it at a steady at 210 degrees? Pork butt and brisket usually take 20-24 hours but only use a softball size of lump charcoal plus flavoring wood. Most beef I marinate with citrus to open the pores, hit it with the rub and let it sit in the ice box for 24 hours.