40 plate flat plate hx exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

docgogo

Feb 6, 2008
Kentucky
getting ready to install new greenwood 200 (have to do all the install myself) have a 40 gallon electric water heater want to plumb the 40 plate to supply dhw also have a 100 gallon tank (old gas hot water heater) should i install the 40 plate near my 40 gallon electric or would it be better to install the 40 plate next to the 100 gallon tank the run the hot water to the 40 gallon or not use the 40 gallon hot water tank at all. the 100 gallon tank sits next to the gw 200 in my garage the 40 gallon is about 30' away thanks in advance keith

You should probably use the 100 gallon one since it is larger. You will probably need a circ and an aquastat (or use the stat from the tank) to heat the water to the right temp. Not sure there would be much benefit from running the two tanks in series. Not sure if that is the info you were looking for or not. Give us some more specifics on you DHW plan and I am sure you will get lots of help.

at present i have a 40 gallon electric tank the installer put a side arm on it (sidearm for a 50 gallon tank i had to run a taco bronze 007 pump to make it work i can only take 1 shower before run out of how water) this is why i went with a 40 plate flat plate heat exchanger to make sure i had pleanty of hot water so you probably are correct if i take the sidearm off the 40 gallon leave it hooked up plumb in the 100 gallon with the sidearm if i ever need to go back to electric hot water for a short period i could
so to hook up the 100 gallon i need a circulator pump and an aquastat ? thanks keith

docgogo,
I have a single pump that feeds my boiler and I have a secondary pump that feeds my dhw side arm and air heat exchanger. The sidearm is home made so I made it to allow a full one inch through flow around the inside pipe. My secondary pump runs 24-7 so I am always getting a heat transfer to the sidearm. The only time I regularly start running short on dhw is when the inside pipe starts plugging up. The side arm is made to allow the hot water tank to be flushed when needed. Something in your set up sounds suspicious in the efficiency department. My hot water tank is gas and has a flow through vent for the gas exhaust (like they all do except the electrics) where air is always flowing and fighting the effects of the supplied hot water so you should be getting greater efficiency than I am, with an electric unless you only have a periodic flow of hot water through your sidearm.

Status
Not open for further replies.