$400 Plus a cord for wood in Alaska?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenknee

Burning Hunk
Just watching an episode of "Yukon men" on TV, they had one guy and his son harvesting fire wood from the river. When he was done he had to build a raft to get it back home. The guy stated he had about 6 cords of wood and it was worth about $2,500. This seemed really high to me, I know the cost varies by region, but $400 plus a cord in Alaska?

Also is wood harvested from the river different than standing lumber? Drying time shorter I wood think, but it would still take some time for the logs to dry after being in the river who knows how long.

Last year I paid $70 a cord for a 10 cord grapple load of white and red oak, haven't priced it this year yet.

I wonder how much it cost to UPS a cord or two to Alaska? :)

wish i could find a grapple load. might ask one of the loggers i got my firewood from last year. this year, thanks to a number of storms and a mild winter last year, i have enough for sure. think i'd have to clear a spot for the truck to dump the load.

cass

Just watching an episode of "Yukon men" on TV, they had one guy and his son harvesting fire wood from the river. When he was done he had to build a raft to get it back home. The guy stated he had about 6 cords of wood and it was worth about $2,500.
I imagine it all depends on how you work out the costs. If you take into account their labor costs, and the expence of the equipment and gas, not to mention the cost of building a raft, I could easily see how they could calculate that wood being worth $2,500 to them.

Hope theres no unknown rapids on that river, wouldn't that be a bummer !

Perhaps our Alaskan friends will also post here so we can compare prices.

I imagine it all depends on how you work out the costs. If you take into account their labor costs, and the expence of the equipment and gas, not to mention the cost of building a raft, I could easily see how they could calculate that wood being worth $2,500 to them.

The guy sells firewood. He was just adding to his supply to sell.

Hope theres no unknown rapids on that river, wouldn't that be a bummer !

Nope, at least not to him, he made it back to shack all in one piece.

Love that show!

Depends on where it's at. Price is what someone will pay. Still a free market system here.
Many communities have been there for years with no trees or none left near it.
Wood can be a premium $$ if you can beat the price of delivered diesel.
Not many roads here.
If you live in the bush, most haul diesel for heat & generators in the winter with snow machine & sleds.

Might be cheap wood if the only heat source.

$400 for me with a NG furnace, not cost effective.

$225 - $275, travel distance can add even more, but that's on the road access areas.

Amazes me that Fairbanks area don't have NG yet. Politics.

Reactions: milleo
Status
Not open for further replies.