$4000 for oil $900 for pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
Just got 3 tons delivered $900 cost.The real savings are you really are not heating your whole house you are heating the room the pellet stove is in plus any adjacent rooms that the heat will travel to.If you are ok with cold spots and bedrooms at 60 degrees
or maybe 55 degrees this will save you a lot of money.I hear people saying that it heats their 2200 sq ft home,I have not experienced my 1900 sq ft home all being toasty I do need to insulate the attic I have maybe 3 inches of loose fill in there, hoping to insulate it next week maybe I will have that fuzzy feeling this winter, will keep you posted.

Three tons of pellets will replace the heat of about 350 gallons of oil. So the rest of your planned savings have to come from heating a much smaller area. It may very well work, but you'll be effectively living in a smaller house all winter.

The plan to increase the insulation is spot on. I am absolutely convinced that the best payback and the best "feel good" for the Green factor comes from insulation.

You might want to check with your utilities to see if they have a cost share program for adding insulation following an energy audit.

Status
Not open for further replies.