1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

$408 for a chimney. Is that a good deal?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by lugoismad, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lugoismad

lugoismad New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I got a quote from a local stove shop. $408 for EVERYTHING I need to put a chimney in the house. Double wall pipe, ceiling box, roof box, cap, everything. 6' of pipe to go from ceiling box, through 2' of attic and meet the 3'x10' rule on the roof.

25 year warranty.

Good deal, or should I keep shopping?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bartlett920

bartlett920 New Member

Loc:
    Fort Scott Kansas
    I installad Simpson Duraplus stainless triple wall and it runs about $99 per 3 foot stick and the ceiling instalation kit is about 100 so thats probably about right.
    I think you are supposed to use triple wall not double wall through attics and combustible material though you should check into that!!!
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is that price for materials only or the full installation including labor?
  4. lugoismad

lugoismad New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I do the labor.

An additional $350 if I want it installed.
  5. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    That's a reasonable price for just materials. I paid about $460 last year for the chimney kit and three sections of 3' class A chimney pipe.

Double wall insulated was all that was required in Maine for going through the attic/roof. Maybe triple walled is required else where?
  6. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    Triple wall is air insulated and not as good as fiber insulated double wall. It's also that much bigger around. Use an insulation shield where the pipe penetrates the ceiling. It's basically another layer of steel to keep a gap between the insulation and the pipe.

Chris
  7. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Yup, that came as part of the Simpson DuraVent chimney kit I purchased.
  8. lugoismad

lugoismad New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Simpson duravent is the brand I'm looking at too.

Were you pretty happy with it?
  9. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Very happy with it! Seemed to be well made, the instruction manual that came with it was easy to understand and follow, and was surprisingly easy to install.

I would definately recomend it.
  10. lugoismad

lugoismad New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    Cool. Seems like thats going to be the brand I go with. A local stove company highly recommends them, and can have it drop shipped to me.

I've called around other places, but no one wants to quote over the phone, and I'm not blowing $50 on gas to drive to a store, only to save $30 on it.
  11. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Just a bit of additional info:

The chimney cap that comes with the kit has a screen in it. I left it in last season and I ended up having some creosote build up on it which reduced my draft, which in turn allowed smoke out into the room any time I opend the stove door (even with all air controls open). I simply scrubbed the screen clean and was back in business.

I'm leaving the screen in over the non-burning months to keep birds or other critters out of the chimney, but when I resume burning this fall, I plan on removing the screen all together and then re-install it next spring.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It may just be the wood Tfin. After two seasons with an all Simpson flue, including cap, our screen is still pretty clean. You might take a set of diagonal pliers and cut out the 1/2" grids to make it a 1" screen?
  13. Tfin

Tfin New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Yeah, in all honesty it probably was......I burnt 100% oak last season that wasn't as dry as it should of been. You know....the whole "first year with new stove" dues/learning curve I guess.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.