4100i not hot enough??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zuegnu

Oct 20, 2009
central CA
So I have tried to sift through many of these types of posts and didnt see anything like my situation so...I am left wondering what everyones opinions are?

Here are the facts as much as I know and as concise as I can make it.

4100i in a 2 story drafty old 1910ish craftsman. Relatively mild climate(60 day 35ish night right now) Chimney is masonry and in almost center of the home. Chimney is farily trick for being so old but I cant determine the inner workings. On the roof there are 3 separate flue built in one brick chimney. 2 fireplaces in the house and one flue is the exhaust for an old boiler that heated cast iron radiators. For sure the upstairs flue is running solo from fire box to the sky, no sharing or anything. Cant tell if the boiler flue and downstairs fireplace tie together at any point. 4100i is on 22' of stainless flex uninsulated/no block off plate in firebox. Top of chimney is capped and sealed. Other two flues are open. Burning good seasoned almond wood and dont have too much trouble getting great seconday burn.

The problem is that I just dont think the insert is putting out the heat it should. With the blower on, my condar magnetic thermometer cant get over about 350-375 even with raging secondaries. Is that normal? I could see it being normal as the blower pulls sooo much cool air over the stove. The room the stove is in is rouchly 20x40, 9ft cielings, and I cant seem to get the center of the room much above 69-70(about 15-20 ft from stove front) much less any other area of the house warm after hours or burning at these temperatures. The stove is near the staircase but with all the doors shut upstairs the top of the landing is never warm??? Also, the wall in an upstairs closet that is against the flue for the liner is ever so slightly warm even hours after a fire(top is capped, holding in hot air?)

Ultimately my question is how should I go about trying to figure out where the heat is going? Maybe its operating normal and putting out as much heat as it will and my old house is just too cold for this size insert? All in all I feel the stove is working quite well but the heat is getting away somewhere but how could it if the flues are each dedicated? If it is going up the flue will a block off solve this problem?

Thanks to anyone still reading and sorry in advance for such a long post.

two things maybe the thermostat is off a bit - toss it in the oven to check and then i would add a block off plate at the bottom

Insulate the bottom of the liner and install a block off plate. Until you stop the heat from going up the flue you really don't know what your unit is capable of.

Matt

Thanks guys. I suppose blocking off the opening in the firebox is not gonna hurt anything and could possibly help quite a bit. I certainly hope so cause I would really love more heat out of my new investment.

How many sq ft total for the house this stove is in?

The first thing to address is the "drafty" part of this house. Sealing up leaks is the fastest way to reduce the heating load. No point in trying to heat any more of a sieve than you have to.

Where do you have your thermometer on the 4100i?

BeGreen said:
How many sq ft total for the house this stove is in?

The first thing to address is the "drafty" part of this house. Sealing up leaks is the fastest way to reduce the heating load. No point in trying to heat any more of a sieve than you have to.

I am working on sealing up leaks. The windows are old and so are a lot of other things! I'll keep it in mind that this could be the issue or a MAJOR part of it. Total Sq. ft. is about 2700 with 1500 downstairs and 1200 up, roughly.

MofoG23, I have the thermometer above the small glass window under the blower vent on the right when you look at the stove, right near where the flat front of stove makes its angle back.

I did as good a look over of the flues after work today and I am almost positive they are all dedicated to their own service so I have pretty much ruled out air going up a shared flue and out the house.

Have you put it in the center of the insert (same location, above the door but below the blower output)? I have used an IR thermometer and might have a reading of 550-600 in the center, but could get readings of 300-400 on the sides, where you have your thermometer mounted.

This has me confused as I have been told the max temp should be 600 degree's around the door or stovetop (specifically WHERE around the door should we measure??) Quadrafire will not tell me where we should take accurate readings.

I agree, as stated above get the air leaks cleared up first, then look at the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.