45 degree elbows no longer meet code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
I am trying to sell some Class A chimney pipe and double wall interior elbows, etc and a guy emailed me from Pennsylvania and said 45 degree elbows no longer meet code. True? False?

Are you sure you don't mean 90 degree elbows? 45 seems awfully tight... I don't think I've ever seen one.

What type of pipe? No 45's are sold for class A, but ok for connector pipe.

compliments of simpson:

http://www.duravent.com/docs/bulletins/2008/45_elbows_product_bulletin.pdf

45-Degree Elbows are NOT Allowed in U.S. All-Fuel Chimney Systems
The Issues
• A 45-degree elbow in any U.S. all-fuel chimney installation does not comply with UL 103, the standard for factory-built
chimneys in the U.S.
• A 45-degree elbow in any U.S. all-fuel chimney installation does not comply with the International Building Code.
• The language of NFPA 211 can no longer be used to justify 45-degree elbows because the International Building Code requires
factory-built chimneys to comply with UL 103.
• Building inspectors, especially in International Building Code jurisdictions, should be aware of the applicable governing
documents and not allow chimney installations with 45-degree elbows.
• In the event of chimney fires, homeowners, inspectors and fire/casualty insurers should be aware of non-compliant
installations.
• Distributors, dealers, and installers can be held liable for providing or installing non-compliant components. Chimney
manufacturers do not have authority to override these governing documents.

OK I'll explain more and we can all breath easy ;-)

I am selling Class A chimney pipe and 45's double wall interior stove pipe, so 45 degree double wall pipe is still OK

Interesting how the image I had in mind was of pipe with a much more acute angle (less than a right angle, or 90 degrees); the linked image is what I'd consider an obtuse angle and more in the range of 135 degrees. I couldn't imagine why you'd need an angle tighter than 90 degrees, lol, and I could understand why something like that wouldn't be "to code", lol.

Why, I don't know, but apparently the degree of bend is measured from vertical. That is, think of clock hands at 6:00, then measure degrees from vertical as the minute hand moves forward: first 30 degrees, then 45, then 90, etc.

How an angle is measured really does depend on the point of origination. I work with fabric and cut bias binding for cording on slipcovers and upholstery. Bias is always 45 degrees to the grain of any woven fabric. I also do a lot of stencil work and geometric layouts on floorcloths. It all involves geometry and again, it's a question of perspective.

I learned something new today. So it won't be a "wasted day"! Thanks.

whoooa! Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly...

So my install is not up to code?

Attachments

• 105_2285.jpg
    105_2285.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 16,283
chad101 said:

That looks like it would restrict the exhaust with 2 close 90's.. I would think 2-45's would be much less restriction and also make the stovepipe sturdier and easier to clean..

My 2 cents,
Ray

I'm curious too. Sounds like 45 is a no go inside the chimney, but OK for connector, like from the stove to the chimney pipe.

Archie said:
I'm curious too. Sounds like 45 is a no go inside the chimney, but OK for connector, like from the stove to the chimney pipe.

Exactly. 45° elbows are no longer approved for Class A chimney installation. No problem in single-wall or double-wall connector pipe (stovepipe). For Class A, you can buy 15° elbows & 30° elbows, but not 45°'s. Rick

Well I guess this post was not too bad then to do overall

I originally wanted only to ask if 45's for connector pipe was still up to code but thanks to you guys additional info was given for the Class A chimney pipe. Thanks again :) to all and I am sorry if I initially confused people when I said Class A chimney pipe and elbows in the same sentence.

I am hoping to get a little bit of money for the the 3 sections of 3 foot Class A chimney pipe, my double wall 45's connector pipe, and my adjustable double pipe, Plus I have roof brackets too. I hate to get rid of this but it just sitting in my garage taking up space and I can't find any use for it. I am charging a cheap price for each item so hopefully I will get rid of this fairly quickly

can those 2 x 90s be adjusted into 2 x 45s...might allow bwtter positioning foe the stove in the pic.

cass

chad101 said:

Pipe looks legal I guess, but why? 45 elbows would be a lot better.

Also, side clearances on the right looks pretty small, does that meet specs for that stove?

jtp10181 said:
chad101 said:

Pipe looks legal I guess, but why? 45 elbows would be a lot better.
I would offset with tow 15 degree elbows.

In my former home I had to offset the class A pipe with two 45 degree elbows. 5 years later I sold the house and built my current one. At some point within that 5 years, the 45 degree elbows were taken off the market but I had the chimney inspected by a WETT certified sweep before I sold the house and there was no mention of the 45 degree elbows. I'm guessing they were grandfathered in.

On my current home I only needed a small offset so a pair of 15's did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.