45 pounder of Black Locust! In she goes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
The last time I did this, it lasted just a little over 11hrs! Put it in around 6pm and is now going good. It was a big one..barely fit. Used 2 pieces of pallets slats as runners to slide it in. Slowly backing her down now. Time will tell....

Damn, how big was that split?!

I believe you. Been burning my locust last couple days. Unbelievable burn times. My favorite wood for sure.

Pics or it never happened!!!!! :lol:

pen

Sorry for no pics guys.....I guess you can call it a triple croch split. 3 separate shoots ranging from 6-9" round all at one end and the end piece of about 10". It was 18" long and 13" at its widest point. Like I said ..barely got it in. I was actually worried when I opened the front doors on my Jotul F600. Glad my Jotul ate it up but that truly is its limit. Been slipping in ash in back of it and now on top to keep her going. Just backed it down to 3 with the temp at 450F. It will all be a memory in the morning. Still have about a face of black locust I haven't even touched yet due to the mild winter. Going to save that for next year

Hocus Pocus sure do like that Locust.......it just magical

Locust in my book is the best wood you can burn but you have to be careful because that stuff gets crazy hot. One cold nights like this (20 degrees out now with 40 MPH wind) I will load 3 big locust splits N/S and 2 oak splits and I won't be able to get within 10 feet of the stove it is so hot. With that kind of a load I will be able to get at least 10 hours out of it. I guarantee you if you burn locust on a night like this you will be one nice warm happy wood stove owner :)

I like to keep some of my locust (and some of the white oak) really really big like that, too. I've already had a 'super-size' stuffed half way in the stove and couldn't get it the rest of the way in, 'cause it was too damm big at the tail end!! So there I am running out the back door to put in in the fire pit out back, I'm sure when they first moved in the neighbors though I was nuts, now that they've been there a while THEY KNOW I AM... :cheese:

I've put some large nasty knots in from time to time. They will almost magically be ash in the morning.

Yea, I brought some of my yellow locust in for the occaision. Goes really well with some red oak. Suppose to get down to 16* here tonight. I figured it's now or never as far a being cold enough for it.

I can tell a big difference after burning good locust and oak as oppose to my usuawal mix of maple, willow, magnolia, dogwood etc... Yesterday when I came home from work I still had way more hot coals then usuwal. I just opened the stove door and stirred it up and let them glow for about an hour or more while bringing the living room temp up to 78, then did it again and went near another hour before it started to die down. Shoveled out a scoop and a half of nearly spent ashes, reloaded with locust and oak again for a nice double take. Feels even better tonight. Aint life good!!

I've felt nearly cheated at times this winter, it's stayed so warm. All the sawing, hauling, splitting, and stacking will pay off eventually though. It has been fittin weather for wood scrounging for sure. Stay warm!

NordicSplitter said:
Sorry for no pics guys.....I guess you can call it a triple croch split. 3 separate shoots ranging from 6-9" round all at one end and the end piece of about 10". It was 18" long and 13" at its widest point. Like I said ..barely got it in. I was actually worried when I opened the front doors on my Jotul F600. Glad my Jotul ate it up but that truly is its limit. Been slipping in ash in back of it and now on top to keep her going. Just backed it down to 3 with the temp at 450F. It will all be a memory in the morning. Still have about a face of black locust I haven't even touched yet due to the mild winter. Going to save that for next year
I have threatened to take pics a couple of times when putting in 26" long 10" wide splits into the Elm. Notice that was splits plural. I still have 4" of space only because my splitter will only split 26". After those are in there I can fill the gaps with thinner pieces.

NordicSplitter said:
The last time I did this, it lasted just a little over 11hrs! Put it in around 6pm and is now going good. It was a big one..barely fit. Used 2 pieces of pallets slats as runners to slide it in. Slowly backing her down now. Time will tell....

This is a funny coincidence. I just got my first ever 11 hrs or usable heat in my 30NC a few nights ago. Put in two rounds that completely stuffed the box. Turned it down to low idle and came back the next morning to find temps of 300 on the deck.

Black locust is the best wood Ive ever burned. The trick is that the wood must be very dry so that you can shut the air down to a trickle. Otherwise you have to let a lot of air in which makes it burn too fast, or you smolder the wood and make a lot of creosote. Dry locust burns hot and leave little creosote even when given very little air.

Well...its been 13hrs and there is nothing but a good size lump of coals in the center of the stove. Living room is at 75F and upstairs at 72F. Leveled the coals out to get some more heat. 13hrs is the longest for me so far. Love that Black Locust.

Status
Not open for further replies.