45 vs 90 bend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
My double wall stove pipe set up is 3 feet straight then 90 elbow followed by 6 inch straight piece with a slip joint over top.

If i have enough room to put 45 with 10" straight section than another 45
would this really make any difference plus cost 100 more.

minesmoria said:
My double wall stove pipe set up is 3 feet straight then 90 elbow followed by 6 inch straight piece with a slip joint over top.

If i have enough room to put 45 with 10" straight section than another 45
would this really make any difference plus cost 100 more.

It always depends on how strong the chimney is in the first place. If you have excess draft, it will not make a difference. If things are dicey, then it could help. If you describe the entire chimney setup and height, maybe we could guess better.

Set up is double wall stove pipe 3 feet straight 90 elbow 6 inch horizontal pipe connected to chimney pipe which goes 2 feet through the wall to tee than 19 feet straight up.

Most of the time i get a bit of smoke comes out when i open the door.

So the 2 feet horizontal and tee most slow it down.

minesmoria said:
Set up is double wall stove pipe 3 feet straight 90 elbow 6 inch horizontal pipe connected to chimney pipe which goes 2 feet through the wall to tee than 19 feet straight up.

Most of the time i get a bit of smoke comes out when i open the door.

So the 2 feet horizontal and tee most slow it down.

In this case, I think the 45's will help. Whether they will make the complete difference is another story. Maybe using them and adding a couple feet to the top of chimney BOTH.

From your description you have two 90 degree change in directions before smoke accends up your chimney. Is you chimney in an exterior location? Does it extend 2" higher than any part of the structure within 10' What is the minimal verticle run needed in you owners manual? Have you factored that the two change in direction 90's require lenghtening 10 more feet to the verticle run?,
Describe your entire setup including your stove model. Any suggestions made are just guesses without complete info.
Your original question about changing 1 90 to 2 45 may not even be the issue.

You have a similar setup to mine in terms of the 90 degree elbow and stack height. I'm told optimum draft is .05. Mine is only .01. When I take it all apart, the only place I have buildup is in the 90 degree elbow itself. The entire 18 1/2' of stack stays very clean. To me that says that the elbow is at least part of my draft problem. I plan on trying the two 45's next season to see how much it helps. If there's anyway you can get a hold of a draft meter, that would go a long way to diagnosing where your problem might be. I borrowed one from my local dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.