450 degree insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malak

Jul 30, 2008
North Central CT
What would be a material that can take nearly 500 F and be used in the walls of a custom oven
for insulation?

This is for an industrial application - not residential.

thanks

Not sure what they actually use for that application. But Nomex will withstand temps above 1000 degrees for a rather short period of time. The same stuff they make firefighter turn out gear and wild land firefighting overalls from. The fabric has been around a while and you should not have any problems buying some if you look in the right place. There are some newer fabrics like PBI (cant remember what it stands for) out that is a little more expensive that is a little better than Nomex. I am sure if these fabrics are applied in the correct manor, they could be used for the application you speak of.

Kaowool is generally a good general purpose insulation for high temperature use. It looks like fiberglass and comes as boards, blankets and loose fill. It's good to at least 2000F, IIRC.

Chris

I've used a lot of kaowool in my kiln. You can get it that withstands 2000F, 2300F, or 2600F IIRC. It may be overkill for 500F.

Rockwool (Roxul brand) accostical fire batts come apart easily, but are dirt cheap compared to kaowool- withstands something like 1900F.

There are a number of other boards and blankets that will take 500F easily. I would contact Cutter Atlantic Refractories in Woburn, MA and tell them what you need- they will hook you up. Great folks there.

Status
Not open for further replies.