$450 for Stihl 361?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
Fact: A local shop has a used Stihl 361 they put a new top end in (cyl., rings, piston). About four years old.

Situation: I have an old Stihl 025 that works fine, probably 15 years old, but only used heavily these last six or so. I am cutting three or four cords a year, but am getting really tired of the time it takes my current saw to slog through 30" oak logs. Or even 24" logs. Even with newly sharpened chains.

Questions: Will the 361 speed the process enough to make a difference to me? If so, do I grab it, try to get them to come down, or pass? If I buy it, do I trade the old 025 or keep it for trimming limbs and smaller logs? The 025 is lighter, but not startlingly so.

Yes, Sold and and an Awesome 2 two deal for the small wood cutter.

Do you know if it's an OEM top end or an aftermarket big bore kit?

Regardless, that sounds like a good deal if everything else is okay.

TreePointer said:

Are they even making a bb kit for a 361?

TreePointer said:

They are a Stihl dealer - probably the oldest in this area, so I would imagine that, for them, the oem stuff would be the cheapest way to go. But I can ask.

Somehow, the idea of hot rodding chainsaws had not ever occurred to me.

I went from an old 031 to a 361 and the difference is huge.

J it brings the displacement up to 64cc

The 025 is listed as a medium sized homeowner grade 45cc saw producing 3.0hp with a max recommended bar length of 18". The 361 is a low end professional 59cc saw producing 4.4hp that is rated to pull upwards of a 24" bar and chain.

Yeah, the 361 is going to make your life way, way easier.

I have both the MS250 and 361--I think it's a nice 2-saw plan, since I never need more than an 18" bar. If you can swing it, pick it up!

S

Don't you hate it when someone starts a thread like this and leaves you hanging?

Well, after an extensive search behind all the seat cushions for loose change, I went and bought the saw. Nearly new 20" bar and chain, and I got them to throw in an extra new chain.

Why didn't someone tell me about this years ago? It appears that it will reduce my cutting time to about 1/3 of what I had been spending. I had a 16' long, 30" diameter white oak log laying near the house that I had been dreading tackling. In fact, it took nearly a tank of gas to make two through cuts with my 025. I cut up that one, two 8' 20" diameter logs. and started a third on a tank of fuel with the 361. Ripping a crotch? No problem.

I had thought the extra pound might be a problem, but I never noticed it. I thought the 20" bar might be a bit unwieldy, but not so. The noise level must be close to the same (or maybe I just cannot hear it with my ear plugs). Yes, the fuel tank is larger, but I can already tell I will make more cuts for less fuel than with my 025.

Thanks so much for all the help and information.

On the other hand, anyone who can stick their foot into the rear handle loop must be wearing ballet slippers. My size 12 Red Wings can't begin to think about raising for consideration the merest possibility of even trying to go there.

jotul8e2 said:
Don't you hate it when someone starts a thread like this and leaves you hanging?

Well, after an extensive search behind all the seat cushions for loose change, I went and bought the saw. Nearly new 20" bar and chain, and I got them to throw in an extra new chain.

Why didn't someone tell me about this years ago? It appears that it will reduce my cutting time to about 1/3 of what I had been spending. I had a 16' long, 30" diameter white oak log laying near the house that I had been dreading tackling. In fact, it took nearly a tank of gas to make two through cuts with my 025. I cut up that one, two 8' 20" diameter logs. and started a third on a tank of fuel with the 361. Ripping a crotch? No problem.

I had thought the extra pound might be a problem, but I never noticed it. I thought the 20" bar might be a bit unwieldy, but not so. The noise level must be close to the same (or maybe I just cannot hear it with my ear plugs). Yes, the fuel tank is larger, but I can already tell I will make more cuts for less fuel than with my 025.

Thanks so much for all the help and information.

361 has had big review from many people! I like to dog the little 361 but its a big part of the team. 3 of them as a matter of fact. Be a very hard day with out at least ONE. 3-An Awesome display back-up by a 192t,460,880 "we run what we brung" Pinks lol

Heck I'd buy it & I'm not even looking for another mid-sized saw right now.Sounds like too good to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.