455 rancher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowjoe

Mar 10, 2008
southern Indiana
Yes ,I had a good saw for last 20 years, but on here everyone bad mouthed Poulans in general,, but my 4000 counter vibe has worked like a champ for at least 20 years now. I've had the same bar all these years an just replaced it this spring,over 20 years, this saw has cut like a champ, it is hard to start, fouls out easily before it starts, so I thought about buying me one of these Made in Sweden Huskys wow!!! I mean everyone says there the greatest, so first mistake was ordering one from the online store instead of the local hardware one half mile away. Well, first they send me the wrong saw
,not what I ordered, so after 2 weeks of headache I get the right one. Husky 455 rancher, just a little less power then my Poulan, So thought it would be fine. Well, first after putting good bar oil an gas an husky oil mix in this (thing) it wont run coz the safety ring or emergency kill brake located inside the drive sprocket cover was rubbing an wouldn't let the chain move , I could not get all that junk into place an put side cover back on ,so i threw all the safety brake stuff out, put the cover back on an it started like a champ. never had all that junk on my Poulan, but that was before politically correct Morons started cutting wood. so I cut a tree up an when the chain started getting dull. I resharpened it using a dremel an guide so everything is right. (wrong) this factory reject chain would not, I repeat would not cut two inches into a piece of wood ,just burned its way some. I've been cutting wood an sharpening chains for over 32 years at least,an never had a chain act like this one. so I went to Rural King an bought a replacement chain for the rancher 455 ,put it on an it cut like brand new, so I thought wow, this saw isn't so bad after all. (wrong) after a while on that new chain, then the guides on the bar are two small for the chain guides an it locked up on the bar an chain will not move no matter how much you pull on it ,even when its loosened, so I file inside the bar guides trying to widen them so the bar will rotate freely, dosent work, so I grind the sides of the new chain in some until the chain rotates freely, putting oil on it ( lots of it too) it works until bar gets hot then locks up again with the motor beginning to smoke I turn it off quickly, so Now my next move is to take this new bar an new chain that came with it an throw them away, why??? coz I bought this piece of crap online an how much trouble an expense is it going to take to get any thing done properly. so as of right now ,IM using my old 20 year Poulan that some say is no good, while this new Swedish thing has caused nothing but trouble from the day I ordered it online.so until I can buy a new replacement bar,its not working worth a damm, my Poulan had the same bar for 20 years an never one problem with it.I replaced it cause it was about wore out. SO I want to say something good about this 455 an that is maybe the engine is a good one ,coz hopefully it was made in Sweden, but Id say that bar an chain came from there new worth less NON-quality control factories IN china where quality control is not a major concern over Quanity, so next time I"ll buy a Stil or Domar, an Swedish Loggerheads can keep there cheap chinese junk.

My own take . . . first off I would have spent the extra few dollars and bought a saw locally. I'm pretty cheap . . . but I also believe in supporting local business and by buying locally I know if I have issues they'll back me up and take care of me.

Next . . . I would rather use a hand saw to cut wood than use a chain saw without the safety "junk." Now I'm not Joe Safety -- I don't wear chaps or a helmet . . . but the one thing I do respect is the saw and what it can do . . . and while I have yet to experience kickback to the point where the break is activated it's a feature I strongly believe in . . . more over it's just plain handy to be able to set the brake while stumbling through uneven terrain, branches, under-growth, etc. Nah, I like the safety stuff.

Finally, there seems to be some issues here. You should be able to sharpen a chain -- even a safety chain -- and get some good results. The issues you are experiencing is pretty atypical which makes me think that either you're not doing something quite right with this new saw (yes, you have experience . . . but not experience with this saw which may be set up differently) or the saw came from the factory with issues. Before you keep throwing money and spending lots of time fiddling with things I would break down and stop by that local shop and see if they can't get the saw fixed up to run the right way . . . yes, it may cost some more money . . . but if they can get you or your saw straightened out you will be much happier in the long run.

I've had a 55 rancher for 5 years and the only problem that I've had is I had to tighten up the re-coil spring once (after I left outside in the rain one night) and replaced the bar once. I've never even changed spark plug ! can't say that about my stiehl. I cut about 6 cord hardwood / year. The sharpening part is owner operator error. Many brands use different pitches etc. and can be sharpened easily with the right technique. It always starts easily. Maybe you got a lemon. You do have to keep the oilier hole clear and make sure the bar gets oil or it wont last. Had a lawnmower shop sharpen the chains once and they weren't worth a crap. Then took the chains to a
Huskarvana dealer for sharpening and they cut great. Best of luck, I hope you get it straightened out.

Have you called Husqvarna and told them about your problem?

zap

Its time to get another saw or take this one to the dealer...to many issues but someone needs to go throug it an address each one at a time.

Select a model that is actually a Swedish made pro saw and not a Lowe's homeowner saw. Go to a reputable Husky dealer and they will set you up with an XP.

Since you have a stocking dealer close by but purchased on-line, I must ask? Was this a factory re-built? Re/Manufactured? Return/Resold?

The very first thing you did was to start it and it didn't work. You then should have put it back in the box and sent it back.

Instead you did several things wrong. Remove the safety equipment, mis-sharpen the chain somehow as it never did cut after your dremel attack, replaced chain with improper chain causing it to lock up, filed out the bar guides, and then gave up.

I'm sorry that the husky didn't work for you but there's a time to try last ditch fixing efforts and then there is a time to send it back.

Can't say I have any where near the issues you have had with my one year old Husky. Then again, I bought mine at my local dealer along with 2 extra chains. I have not had an issue with this saw yet. It takes 2 pulls to make it pop when choked and another one or two after that. Runs like a dream and the chain brake works too...

My 455 is great except for the chain oiling problems that most of them have. I like the chain brake for a lot of reasons. Set it down for a moment and it wont keep turning. Mine even rolls over once and a while but keeps on running, Chain sharpens easily with the right file. I do mine by hand now. Make a legitimate complaint and get things straightened out. A few words go a long way in the pr dept.

Sorry, but your story almost sounds like you made it up just to see if people were paying attention when they read it. It is hard to believe that somebody with 32 years experience could do so much damage to a new saw in so little time. Maybe you are better off with the old Poulan.

Negative comments on Poulan quality are probably directed at their current saws which are not made like your old reliable.

+1 for swallowing your DIY pride & take the thing to the Husky dealer & beg forgiveness for not buying it there. You'll be buying some new parts & it's about the only choice since you can't send it back now all tore-up.
Get the brake fixed or a new one if you wrecked the old pulling it out. Be sure the brake is off whenever you take the clutch cover off as you'll never get the cover back on with the brake band engaged & have to jury-rig a way to dis-engage it first (don't ask how I know).
Get a non-safety chain & bar of the same gauge to replace the ones you've ground on.
Get them to show you the proper file size & angles for that chain.
Make sure the oiler is working (455 oiler is a bit weak for 20" bar IMO) & that the oiling hole on bar is not clogged so you don't over-heat & sieze the new bar & chain.
20 or 30 years experience means alot, but doesn't mean you know everything about newer saws so just learn a few new tricks & I suspect you'll be pretty happy with the Rancher.
Or continue blaming foreigners and PC Morons for all your problems & use the Poulan.

Ok I have two Husky 455 n love them. I too had a chain lock up issue on the newest saw.The local dealer said not to lube the roller nose on the bar,the bar oil will lube it. Used it made it thru half a tank of gas n chain locked up.Loosen chain, clean bar,readjust chain start over . Again about a half a tank same thing. Got really sick of that. Bought a bar w/o a roller nose. Problem solved.. Bought another barely used 455 from same dealer. This time greased roller nose everytime I refuel guess what No problems w Chain lockin up.. The last load of logs we did I switched the firsr saw back to a roller bar n greased rooler at gas up amazingly enuff no problems. I did have to ditch the homeowner safety chain though and went with a good Husky chain. That thing will hold an edge and cut like no tommorrow. I love my 455s n will not go to any others.. As with any saw just a few quirks to work out.. Give this a try n let us know.. Good luck

Alright, I will bite... Did you have the chain on the right direction?

Or.... Is this a rare hearth.com troll?

lowroadacres said:
Alright, I will bite... Did you have the chain on the right direction?

Or.... Is this a rare hearth.com troll?

lol

lowroadacres said:
Is this a rare hearth.com troll?

That's what I am thinking.

[quote author="lowroadacres" date="1279769795"Or.... Is this a rare hearth.com troll?[/quote]

probably because the guys on AS wouldn't bite. :bug:

The 455 is one of the box store models and is only a small bit better than a poulan . The local dealer here have tons of refurb ones available as an indication of the lower quality. Go to your local dealer beg for mercy and trade the thing in for a xp series saw. Then you will have a nice quality saw , buy spare chain and a correst sized dremmel grinding stone / jig for your saw. Learn to deal with the safety stuff and leave it alone.

mikeyny said:
My 455 is great except for the chain oiling problems that most of them have. I like the chain brake for a lot of reasons. Set it down for a moment and it wont keep turning. Mine even rolls over once and a while but keeps on running, Chain sharpens easily with the right file. I do mine by hand now. Make a legitimate complaint and get things straightened out. A few words go a long way in the pr dept.

I've cut over 25 cord with my trusty 455 and it has not missed a beat. I wonder if this saw is fussy about the quality of chain oil - I have always used Husky's own brand and never had a problem. It cost a little more but why mess with success?

Hmmm, 3 posts to his username and hasn't come back since. Sounds trollish or more likely, an alias username for someone trying to have fun in the off season. Problem was, the OP wasn't that far out from reality for some of the population. Gotta get more creative.

OK men, hers what I can remember about the whole deal. I could have put the chain on backwards ,Im senile enough (62) to have done that. But that safety stuff it is still brand new an could be put back on if I tried or took it to my dealer an plea bargained for a lighter sentence for not buying it there in the first place, It was brand new ,paid I believe $420.00 for it delivered, I think I'll put the chain back on again,the original one an make sure its running in the right direction an see if that was the problem, i hope it was , but I have doubt about that. I don't need the saw right now, coz got most wood for this year already in , I like the engine an easy start features, I
'll take it to the local husky dealer here an put new bar an chain from them an I think this baby will work like a champ like it should of done at the start, yes I know some of you think I just like to grip, well your right go to my section on Mennards Log Splitters an read the real night mare I went thru with them ass holes on two of there supreme models that never split one log ,after I sent there two log splitters back to Mennards they quit selling them models. So I went where I should have In the first place the local rural king store an bought a Swisher 22 ton log splitter, it has worked from day one starts every time real quick an I keep my stuff in good shape an in the garage an always have stabil in the gas in all gas engines motors. Yeah my old Poulan has worked excellent. its these new ones that are probaly no good, I did open my oil port on my husky 455 to biggest opening ,they are adjustable for oil flow. so open all you r oil flow ports to biggest opening, I noticed that the oil didnt come out as good as it should, not like that Poulan does. anyway I do like this Husky an it is going to work for me, plus my chain does not move or revolve any when i let off the gas it stops like it should with out the brake, my poulan does the same, I have for some reason noticed more kick back from this husky then I ever had with the poulan or my older old blue homelite I used to have, this thing does try to kick back more for some reason.but you got to be careful an watch what your doing , walk carefully when In brush with saw in your hand, always think safety if you took your safety brake off or if you have it on. ok guys thank you for the input, an Im keeping this saw, it just was a duzzy from the factory maybe. ---- Joe

Gee, since I thought you were Da man, I got rid of all my 30yr+ European saws and went to Canadian tire and bought the top of the line 35cc Poulan. Now what am I gonna do? :roll:

Hey Pyro, Sorry to disappoint you about me, but yes if things I buy new, don't work or the people who sell them don't help you none to set it up for you,like Menards did, they did nothing, I did what instructions said an look at the results I got. Now why is it that the Swisher which Rural King sold me an they set it up with hydralic oil an made sure it was right an ready to go,why did it work perfect from the start an still working perfect, coz it was made right at a company in Missouri that tries to make quality equipment, where as Menards is like a home depot or something ,its just another sell in there vast ocean of stuff to sell you. Plus I see you got two good chain saws already so the new Poulan isn't a big one, but it didn't cost you much either, so take care of it an it should work for a long time for you. if not !! then like I said it didn't cost that much anyway. I've got old home lites that still run pretty good an one is 12 years old an still like new ,these are them real small ones too. Hey I make hand made custom pocket slip joint knives, an my quality has to be up there with hand made products like a roll royce or something with time put into it. an I just don't have time for cheap junk an especially Chinese cheap junk, I do have some of there knives an they are starting to make some good stuff at good prices ,but there steel is still inferior to hand made stuff I do, but I charge what new good chain saws cost too for one knife. an I back my knives up with a free replacement warranty if you don't like it ,,it don't cut the way you like or if theres any flaw an you want your money back, send me the knife back, I'll either fix it or make you another or give you your money back.can these rip off factories make that claim an back it .very few can or will. my Husky will be ok as long as the oiler dosent burn up the bars very often
I think I will like it, it does cut good when working right, so a new bar an new chain from good dealer should have me in good shape again, Ok Pyro have fun in the Yukon, your so lucky to be there...joe

Status
Not open for further replies.