47 Degrees Outside and 645 of Us Out of Electricity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Twenty minutes ago 645 of us lost electric service. Since it is 9:20 pm and 47 degrees out I don't think many people will freeze to death because of it though.

Up and running on the UPSs for the next three hours then cut over to the four deep cell lash up and then the generator fires off six hours later. Shouldn't be anything like the five day outage with two feet of snow on the ground last year.

I always love seeing the big banner on the front of the electric company's building announcing that you can check the status of electric outages on the web. I am the only guy in the neighborhood with enough back up power to do that.

BrotherBart said:
Twenty minutes ago 645 of us lost electric service. Since it is 9:20 pm and 47 degrees out I don't think many people will freeze to death because of it though.

Up and running on the UPSs for the next three hours then cut over to the four deep cell lash up and then the generator fires off six hours later. Shouldn't be anything like the five day outage with two feet of snow on the ground last year.

I always love seeing the big banner on the front of the electric company's building announcing that you can check the status of electric outages on the web. I am the only guy in the neighborhood with enough back up power to do that.

OK whats UPSs and whats four deep cell lash? Tell me, tell me, tell me!!!! :)

I have a one deep cell system...boat battery and a 12v work light!

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

Thats when the guy in the very back of the jail house gets a whoppen .........

Since I run my business out of the basement office the equipment room down here is a baby data center. I have one 3,000 VA and one 6,000 VA uninterruptable power supply (UPS) running the equipment racks and lights down here. They keep the communications and server racks supplied with power in an outage and filter the line power all the time.

As further backup I have four deep discharge batteries in series hooked to a large inverter to convert the battery power to 115-120 voltage. This is usually the backup for such important functions as keeping DirecTV available so my wife doesn't miss any of Court TV. It also is the backup for the blower on the woodstove.

The generator is an old iron block 4,800 watt Tecumseh that I believe would start and run under water if it had to. It has it's own enclosed ventilated shed fifteen feet outside the back door.

None of the stuff is tied into the house wiring. I have a power distribution panel in one of the equipment racks that the extension cords for upstairs run off of when needed.

I set the stuff up a year ago and just shortly after that we had the first week long power failure.

BrotherBart said:
Since I run my business out of the basement office the equipment room down here is a baby data center. I have one 3,000 VA and one 6,000 VA uninterruptable power supply (UPS) running the equipment racks and lights down here. They keep the communications and server racks supplied with power in an outage and filter the line power all the time.

As further backup I have four deep discharge batteries in series hooked to a large inverter to convert the battery power to 115-120 voltage. This is usually the backup for such important functions as keeping DirecTV available so my wife doesn't miss any of Court TV. It also is the backup for the blower on the woodstove.

The generator is an old iron block 4,800 watt Tecumseh that I believe would start and run under water if it had to. It has it's own enclosed ventilated shed fifteen feet outside the back door.

None of the stuff is tied into the house wiring. I have a power distribution panel in one of the equipment racks that the extension cords for upstairs run off of when needed.

I set the stuff up a year ago and just shortly after that we had the first week long power failure.

Ahh ok, I understand now. Not a bad setup. I have no backup, no generator, but I do have a flashlight that needs no bateries (as seen on TV LOL) and my Ryobi cordless flashlight. And the old reliable candles. I have been eyeing up one of thoise Generac generators. The one with the 16 circuit setup. Would do almost the whole house. At least the important stuff. NO natural gas through here, so I quess I'd go propane. But thata further down the list, way further down.

Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

LOL, thats why I stay at the front!

sounds like a nice setup.
Here I have 8) 2,000 vac UPS, 1) 8,000 w commericial industrial generator, enough fuel for a constant run of approx. 1 week, 10 charged batteries for cordless tools, 3 flashlights that do not need batteries (induction system), hand pump well for water, furnace that needs no electricity, 20 below mummy bags and camping survival gear.
But alas as at this location the longest power out in 13 years was about 5 hours it is such a waste. But you never know...

coldinnj said:
sounds like a nice setup.
Here I have 8) 2,000 vac UPS, 1) 8,000 w commericial industrial generator, enough fuel for a constant run of approx. 1 week, 10 charged batteries for cordless tools, 3 flashlights that do not need batteries (induction system), hand pump well for water, furnace that needs no electricity, 20 below mummy bags and camping survival gear.
But alas as at this location the longest power out in 13 years was about 5 hours it is such a waste. But you never know...

I hear ya. If we don't have power I don't make money so it is a necessity.

(Note: while I was typing this the juice came back on).

Our electric guys are super. They always get it done somehow no matter how nasty it is out there.

Now instead of going to bed I get to wait for that dryer load to finish and the one that was in the washer also.

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

Ahh ok, I understand now. Not a bad setup. I have no backup, no generator, but I do have a flashlight that needs no bateries (as seen on TV LOL) and my Ryobi cordless flashlight. And the old reliable candles. I have been eyeing up one of thoise Generac generators. The one with the 16 circuit setup. Would do almost the whole house. At least the important stuff. NO natural gas through here, so I quess I'd go propane. But thata further down the list, way further down.

Do you have any Coleman lanterns? They come in very handy for extended outages. We're looking at switching to a propane generator as well. With the last outage there was no power at the gas pumps for 1.5 days. So we had to meter the gasoline usage until the gas pumps got power again.

BB, where did you pickup your 6000va UPS? I've been considering such a system too.

You all sound safe, I admit I have no back up. I rely on the electrical grid, and the fact that I have a link to a 17.5KVA line serving me and my lesser neighors, a billion dollar a year diamond business. Gee, incidental percs are funny.

Had some trouble with my phone and DSL last year. Phone company rewired 1,600 ft to a main trunk. Reason was, no sub-standard service in my area. Gee, could it have to do with my neighbor hooked into the same trunk. Don't tell anyone, but the lineman who spent two days rewiring, (there nickel) was the senior tech, and said it was important to the company. Since then, no failures and no outages.

Normally, we have few outages, but three years ago we had bad flucuations. Shop motors were at risk. Voltage was 100 plus and minus, twenty volts. Put the large shop motors on tight starters and hoped for the best on the small ones. Lost a few from under power. Then suddenly there was a new substation, power regulation was perfect.

Gee, sometimes big business isn't so bad.

Flashlights, oil lamps and candles. I'll go to sleep early if the power is out.

Work may or may not see me arrive on time. But they probably will since I'm awake before the alarm clock most mornings.

Well, I figured now that the power just dropped out around here I am obligated to pose on this thread. Wind picked up a few hours ago, probably blowing about 30-35 or so, not too bad. Roads were wet when I drove to the PO this morning though, and pieces of tree debris all over the place. Anyway, sitting here on the laptop with the UPS keeping my network alive for the next few hours. Conveniently, the insert has the house at 72 from last night, and its about 40 degrees outside, so its pretty warm. If this keeps up for another hour or so I'll fire up the Generac.

-- Mike

I got sick of losing power a couple of years ago, and added a 12kw automatic natural gas generator with automatic transfer switches. Never have to worry about losing power again...

BrotherBart said:
I always love seeing the big banner on the front of the electric company's building announcing that you can check the status of electric outages on the web. .

can you snap a picture of that?

Jake said:
BrotherBart said:
I always love seeing the big banner on the front of the electric company's building announcing that you can check the status of electric outages on the web. .

Excellent idea!

BrotherBart said:
Jake said:
BrotherBart said:

Excellent idea!

Ok, I needed a good laugh today!

BTW, does anyone have the phone number I call to let the phone company know that my phone doesn't work?

Roospike said:
Thats as bad as saying, "Well, If the power goes out we'll have to watch TV by candle light."

My poor mother has been kidded for 65 years about a remark like that. Power went out the week they got married and she popped off "Well we can use the Christmas lights."

65 years and she hasn't been allowed to live it down.

Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

Thats a good one

MrGriz said:
BrotherBart said:
Jake said:
BrotherBart said:

Excellent idea!

Ok, I needed a good laugh today!

BTW, does anyone have the phone number I call to let the phone company know that my phone doesn't work?

Back when I was growing up, one of the amusements of any trip out of Boston on the SExway was to drive by the IBEW (Electricians Union) building and count the dead bulbs in the sign bragging about how Union Electrician$ are $uperior.... I understand the same sign is still there, and still doesn't work right, but since I'm on the other side of the city now, I don't get to drive on the SExway often enough to check it out.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.