47 Ton splitter I may be getting this evening. What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I decide to sell this, any idea what to ask for it as is? If I sell it and dont fix it, I would put the cash toward a 30 Ton from Harbor Freight. This one either needs the motor rebuilt, or replaced. It weighs around 2600 Lbs. I called to see what the scrap value is, and the recycling place told me about $210. It also has 40+ gallons of hydraulic fluid included with it. Any ideas for an asking price?

40 gal of hydralic fluid at12.oo gal=480.oo

so to start, if the fluid is clean and not contaminated, you have 480.oo in hydralic fluid alone.

need I say drain it , strain it and sell it.

then 210.oo in scrap metal. heck ,you 1/2 way there, already.

But see, if it were me, i would just put the 20 hp horz shaft honda engine that been sitting in my shed for 3 years, waiting on a need, on to it and fire that sucker on up, and see what it will do.

Also, you get way more money for it in running condition , when the buyer can see it work and know he not getting stuck with a lemon, that as a basket case.

another reason to put a used engine on it and fire it up is that its too heavey to move, yet again.

I don't know, i just get all tingly when i restore a piece of junk to opperating mode, like i just saved someones life or something.

most be someone where you live has a busted up lawn tractor with a 18 or 20 horse motor that still runs or could be made to with a carb cleaning that they want to sell 4 cheap.

You have a www.bargainnews.com in your state?

where people list used or broken stuff they want to sell 4 cheap. I buy my car there last year and it runs great, gets 40mpg and i didn't
pay too much. 98 honda civic hb 1.6L 4spd at withac, only 100k miles , that like 50k on an american car.

amazing what u can find on internet.

www.ask.com or www.local.com

if you do or dont buy used engine to fix it from there, maybe u sell it from there, also.

worth a looky see, whats up, doc!

harborfrieght.com most of their stuff is pretty good considering it comes from china ,or has parts made in china but proudly assembled in the usa.

I bought a 3.5 cu ft cement mixer from them 4 years ago for 200.oo

It arrived with a dented &
bent, way out of shape, motor mounting plate due to ups damage and I called har/frt up and tell them so they send new new part free. It only took 4 months to arrive, though.

In the meantime , i was loosing my job window so I took my rusty old bald ping hammer,with the cracked handle and the electrical tape wraping and banged the crap out of that plate until it looked pretty damned good to me and went ahead and mounted on up the motor and fired that sucker on up.

Best cement mixer i ever owned, I used it 4 times on big jobs, and kept 2 guys with wheel barrows well fed with cement. and my friends wont let me keep the cement mixer here,its always over someones house pouring a new side walk or basement floor. I always get it back clean and in good shape because they want it again next summer.

that mixer turned all my friends into cementests.

overall experience with harbor frieght is good but just dont ever depend on them to get you a part you need to keep your unit opperating, because that boat that brings the part over from china only moves about 3 miles/hour.

some one needs to tell them to row a little faster.

deside-ing on a great log splitter is a tough choice.

THE northerntools.com splitter that I thought i wanted a couple of days ago, because it had the 4 way wings that every one raves so much about, when i did the math and added in the hydralic fluid, side log support , 4 way wing and shipping, i ended up at 1370.oo

and i figured, if that the best i can do, i could live with it & feel good about it. I nearly buy it.

then, i find 22 ton huskee from tractorsupply.com for 999.99 & tax=1060.oo out the door, no shipping, store 40 miles away and i use my 4x8 utility trailer 2 go get it. It comes all assembled ,ready to run & tow home, with engine oil and hydralic (sae10, non detergent engine oil) fluid installed.

How many peolpe know hydralic fluid is just sae 10 non detergent engine oil. 2.oo qt at auto store.

next i do some research here at hearth.com and find out that you should never , ever tow
a huskee splitter on the road at any speed over 20, if it can be at all avoided, because they weld the axil spindel right onto the hydralic oil tank and if you hit a bump at speed, you risk breaking the weld and leaking out your hydralic fluid.

This still a good log splitter if you dont intend to tow it on road and off road just tow it very very slowly.

I hear the splitter handle almost anything you put in it except for that 1or 2 out of a hunderd
knarled, branched forked round from hell. for that round , you need a 30 ton.

so, since i dont intend to ever move splitter more that 16 ft once i trailer it home, it a good splitter for me and save me 360.oo

and they may be a custom way to install the 5 bolt on, 1/2 wing kit of northerntool on it.
this involves some grinding of a flat spot on the side of the wedge and drilling 5 holes thru it,
to install the 4 way wedge wings and cutting off the top half of the log stripper guard to allow the wings to just clear it.

so 4 me this best option,it here,it assembled and it the cheapest with no shipping involved.

maybe hf is 100.oo cheaper and 30 ton 2 boot, but i shudder 2 wait on the row boat from china to delever parts i need now, not 6 months later.

hf splitter is cheaper and stronger, and probably has no towing issues either,
but when you need a part,what then.com

Status
Not open for further replies.