48 CJ2A oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1kzwoman

Minister of Fire
Dec 27, 2013
West near Yellowstone
i have a 48 CJ2A Willys that has been in family forever. It's set unused for 8 years...garaged.
But I can't decide what oil weight to use. I wanted 20w non detergent, but can only find 30w and that seems heavy given winters approach, but 10w is to lite.
Anybody have suggestions for reserecting this little jeep gently?

Biggest issue is the zinc content of the oils which are needed for flat tappet engines, multiweight detergent oils will work as long as the zinc content is good. Brad Penn 10w-30, Valvoline Racing Oil 10w-30 and Rotella 15w-40 are all decent choices.

Reactions: Knots
To heck with the oil choice . . . how about a picture of the ol' Willys?

Reactions: flyingcow
He's disarray right now. Let me get him "zipped up" a bit. Then I'll post a picture. Pulled radiator due to Russian olive pits in it on back flush .... Never parked without cap while living with my family but 70 years and only 50 with us.

Still ran strong when we parked it 8 years ago. Simply amazing

Engine of this age were designed for " straight weight " oils. Heck manual says add 10% kerosene to 10w below -10 !!!!
So you see my question. Some of these old keeps don't have an oil filter.

Actually even old engines can benefit from the multi-weight oils, oil quality has come a long ways since those days.

Reactions: Fifelaker
Ever wonder why many keeps overheat?
R is NOS bellow thermostat L is new new modified with 2 1/8" holes
NOS entire cap lifts modern only center opens image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Very cool . . . thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
Willy purring as the L-134 does, now to rewire. It's all OEM but age is taking its toll.
Looking for a good harness cloth braid over vinyl maybe. Anybody have suggestions??

I use Mobil1 15w-50 in a lot of my old stuff and my newer BMW motorcycle. You can go to their website. There's a statement about how that weight has the appropriate phosphorous and zinc for older engines. Synthetic reduces cold-start wear by sooooooo much....

Status
Not open for further replies.