48 Years Ago

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
It was one of those days that you will forever remember.
That afternoon you know where you were & what you
were doing when you first got the news...

I was 11 years old & my USAF dad was stationed in Rome,
Italy. It was about 8:45 in the evening when there was a
knock on the door of our apartment...

9th grade English class when he was shot. Study hall when they announced he was dead.

. . . I wasn't even a gleam in my daddy's eye.

14 y/o. 10th grade. High School Metal Shop over in the foundry area working on a casting mold.

My MOM was in kindergarten at that point. LOL!

Danno77 said:

I think I need to go lay down now.

2nd grade: When we were told what had happened; All I could think of was Olive Oil from Popeye singing "If I were President". I remember seeing homemade memorials in all the front windows of the Mom and Pop stores in the neighborhood. Dark days indeed!

BrotherBart said:
Danno77 said:

I think I need to go lay down now.

Lay down? You just got your butt outta bed!!!!! :coolsmile:

11th grade, Algebra II, looking forward to the pep rally for the big game that night. We did not hold the Rally. Nobody remembers the game.

I was 2 months 11 days old.Probably sleeping in my crib after recently being sent home from hospital,was in incubator 56 days being a 3 month premie that weighed 2 lbs 11oz at birth,dropped to 2lbs 7.

I was in the 10th grade. Don't ask what I was doing in a 9th grade English class. :red:

Elementary school in WV.
Bell rang to end recess early & we all went to our class rooms & heard the news.
Recess was my favorite class.

I was -12 (in my current body), but suspect that I was in my mid50's of my past life as a vegas lounge singer when I heard the news. Sad times, sad times.

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit the JFK museum in Dallas this fall. I wasn't born quite yet when it happened and the museum put everything into perspective. I came away wondering who advised him to go to Dallas.

I was 5, in Kindergarten. They sent us home from school. We lived with my Grandparents back then (my Mother & I) My Grandmother was in front of the TV crying when I got home early. My Mom couldn't get out of work, but got home ASAP.

Etched in my brain forever.

A somber funeral like none before or since. The cadence of those drums haunt me to this day.

Good vibes to Caroline. She's the only one left.

Seventh grade, school got out early, spent an extra 2 hours lugging wood for the old guy down the road after school. Made an extra dollar.

Danno77 said:

Wow Danno you might have the prize for youngest... Even my parents were in high school at the time and I though I was one of the younger folks here....

BB, I remember the 5 minutes of silence as well.

Eerie the things that stick in your mind.

My parents didn't even know each other yet.

8th Grade Algebra class. We all went silent. But what really freaked us out was seeing the vice principal (a dark and swarthy Italian) as white as a ghost. Two of my teachers and he went down for the funeral in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.