49 TRCMP Door/Window gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabear440

Dec 20, 2014
Pennsylvania
Have had my TRCMP 2 years but previous owner bought in 09, he never replaced the door or window gasket (I know because he kept all his paperwork for all orders etc) . Im just wondering at what point theae will need replaced. This year ive gotten a new igniter, new room air blower, had a prof cleaned & done my own cleaning every few days. I just want to be sure Ive done everything to keep the stove working at its best. This is how it is now
042f29de8e65e6c1c0c8f948b0f06ee8.jpg

Thanks

Have you tried the dollar bill test? Taking a bill and closing the door on it and seeing if you can easily pull it out? Repeat all the way around. Gaskets seem to need to start to need placement at about 5 years. Very easy project. New gasket material with graphite is very nice upgrade over the old white gaskets.

Attachments

• DSCN0510.JPG
    DSCN0510.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 92
Your gasket looks cleaner than mine - which is only 4 months old.

You did remind me to clean my stove this morning - caught a nice picture with a detached "flare". :)

Attachments

• 2015-01-11 14.12.33.jpg
    2015-01-11 14.12.33.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 99
I did the dollar bill thing and ueah I can pull it out pretty easy. I mean I pulled a little but it came out. I couldve used a 100 & not have worried it would rip. So I should replace the gasket then. Now do I replace both the window and door gasket at the same time? Also do I buy the replacements online from new englander or somewhere else?

You ought to clean the window glass, it looks like shitte_g. A scotchbrite pad and some Windex followed by a paper towel will get that glass looking spiffy in a second.

I'd say your glass gasket is fine. It stays compressed whereas the door gasket flexes. You should only have to change the glass gasket if you change the glass (and the glass may very well crack if you try to remove it anyway). Trim the odd hairs off with a pair of scissors for sure.

The 'dollar bill' trick should show some (but not much) resistance and most units have doors that can be adjusted for a tighter fit by adjusting the latch (or bendng it as the case may be).

You can get the door gasket at TSC or Rural King or any stove shop and most of the times it's a 5/8" gasket and it comes in a 3 or 4 foot length you trim to fit.

If you do decide to do the door, you'll need to remove it from thr stove (door), lay it down on a table inside up, dig out the old gasket and clean the door channel of all the old adhesive and gasket, size the new gasket (according to the supplied instructions that come with the replacement gasket), apply fresh adhesive and lay in the gasket, making sure the ends butt flush and letting it dry before reinstalling the door.

This didnt need a scoth brite pad. I Just used a damp wash cloth, it did look crappy but I was getting ready to clean the whole stove and after seeing ur comment I did trim the odd hairs off. Im waiting on redoing gaskets. I tore the whole stove apart to clean and see how it does before jumping into anything else.

To do a temporary fix on the door gasket one can take a pliers and squeeze it to plump it up some but won't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.