49-TRCPM auger not turning/feeding during S-U

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJ1021

Feb 2, 2018
MA
Hello, I just purchased and installed the 49-TRCPM, got it all hooked up and as it turns on everything seems ok and goes into startup mode, during this no pellets seem to be dropping in and eventually I get an E-2 code. This is the first time trying to even use the pellet stove so I have nothing to compare to as far as previous runs. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Thank you.

I opened back and I only feel exhaust turning on, the blower doesn't seem to be doing anything and as I said before auger isn't moving. From first look none of the wires seemed loose, but for the 1st time start up and pellet stove not sure what to really look for as I wasn't expecting an issue on first use...

So the combustion blower turns on but the auger never starts? How did you vent the unit? What settings do you have the board on and will the auger turn at all ( make sure the doors are shut or it definitely won’t feed

Yeah the main exhaust I can feel it running and feel air coming out from outside, but the blower/auger aren't moving and this is during setup mode, which it runs till I get e2 error code. It's vented out through wall and doors all seem shut that I can tell, main door doesn't lock very well, but when I push down it seems to engage the hook mechanism inside door for the most part.

You might not be getting proper vacuum from that door not sealing. Your room blower shouldn’t come on until your unit has heated up to 110 DF. You could try jumping your vacuum switch to make sure that’s your problem.

Any idea how I would do that? This is my first pellet stove so I'm not familiar with certain things etc... Thank you.

To jump a vacuum switch you have to locate it in the back of the unit. It should be a round plastic switch about 2” in diameter with a rubber hose coming off it and two wires connected to it. If you unhook the power to the unit and unplug the two wires from the switch then plug them into each other with a jumper wire or paper clip, then carefully plug the stove back in without letting your jumper ground out on metal and try to start the stove then your auger motor should start turning if vacuum was the issue. If it doesn’t turn then vacuum is not the issue. You can also test your door seal by shutting a dollar bill in the door and seeing how easy it is to pull out.

Reactions: heat seeker
I don't have a jumper wire available, any idea of best kind to get or just basic one with the clips on end would work best?

It really doesn’t matter. Any small piece of wire that you can use to connect the two spades. Your not going to leave it like that for long. I’ve had people use paper clips before

Ok I will go see if I have something around, I did take the piece out and I took a picture to verify that the connections are correct also... Also, I assume I am just putting one end of the paper clip inside the spade on each and turning it on? Just want to make sure not gonna hurt anything or place it incorrectly... Thanks.

https://ibb.co/b9fLex
b9fLex

Last edited:
As long as the 2 wires and paperclip do not make contact with the stove body or components you will be fine.

I got a jumper cable made up and turned it back on and still nothing from auger. Any other suggestions?

I tried the auger in diagnostic mode and auger and everything worked fine it seems, but as soon as I try a regular startup I get no feed and just eventual e2 error. Anyone have any idea why that would be?

Last edited:
Sounds like a control board issue but I’d still go through it and jump every safety one by one to make sure.

How would I go about bypassing or jumping the hopper lid switch? I've heard that seems to be a big issue with causing them not to feed and only other thing other than pushing it down that I haven't tested cause as I said everything runs in diagnostic mode.

The 2 WIRES hooked to the hopper switch, connect them together like you did with the auger motor.

Hopper lid switch. Possibly adjust the lid latch.