4th burn nc13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
well, the first three were not impressive. used wood from the same source, and todays fire actually got the flue temp up to 600f!
now for the interesting part-the last 2 fires have been while the stove was set up in a temporary position...middle of room with 4-5 extra feet of single wall pipe, and the 2 slightly offset elbows are now offset to almost a 90 degree! go figure?? i have more single wall pipe; absolutely none of the joints are sealed; and i have 2 almost 90 degree joints...than it goes into the 8" metalbestos.
not looking for advice, just sayin...
the reason the stove is "temporary", i am halfway through building a hearth for the bugger. than i will set the stove, straighten the 90 degree elbows to just a slight offset, and seal all the joints with hi-temp. then we'll see if i need that extension on the metalbestos or not.
the first fire i built in the stove while in the temp position was also miserable. the second one was good!
should be able to lay some tile tomorrow

If it works it works. That's great news. Told ya it wasn't the stove ;)

pen

Sounds like a good plan. What is meant by seal it with high temp?

BeGreen said:
Sounds like a good plan. What is meant by seal it with high temp?

i think one of the responses in the original post suggested sealing the joints with hi-temp caulk to help improve the draft in the flue. after speaking with englander on mon a.m. they also suggested using a caulk rated for at least 1000f to seal the joints of the single wall pipe. this should aid in improving the draft...otherwise, its kinda like drawing through a straw that has holes in the side of it. so, improved draft, better burn...

If you ever have a chimney fire that's going to make a stinky mess and be hard to clean. I think they mis-understood you. High temp silicone is OK for double wall pipes, but not recommended for sealing single wall pipes. If you want to seal a single wall pipe use furnace cement.

Also, you wouldn't be able to get those pipes apart for cleaning / replacement if you use silicone very easily. Furnace cement forms a good seal and will crumble and can be vac'd up when it's time for service.

pen

yooperdave said:
caulk rated for at least 1000f to seal the joints of the single wall pipe.
Yeah, the highest-temp caulk I've heard of is rated for 650*...they must have meant cement.

yep yoop, furnace cement....

Definitely do not use silicone (or RTV) on the flue pipe. For single-wall joints, uses a silica-based cement adhesive like those Rutland makes. No need for any cement the joints on the class A pipe.

Attachments

• rut_furn_cement.gif
    rut_furn_cement.gif
    20 KB · Views: 231
  • rutland_cement.jpg
    rutland_cement.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 226
i don't make it up, i just repeat it.

englander said to seal the single wall pipe with a hi-temp (rated at least 1000f) sealant. i don't think he said to use furnace cement, but when the time comes, i will verify this.

for the record, i was also concerned about the "how to" when it came time to clean the pipes..

Glad you are getting it in Dave. You'll figure it out in no time flat. I'll also chime in on the furnace cement. We've used that for the 50+ years we've burned wood. It is easy to work with, easy to clean up and does what needs to be done. On top of that, it is cheap to buy too.

thanks dennis. hope you had a good ride this past weekend.
found a tube of furnace cement today for $4. i was suprised cuz the place that sells it is more like a jewelry store when it comes to pricing items!
i built the hearth yesterday, today i picked up some tile (ceramic) and left my "cut order" with them since i don't have equipment to cut the tile. i'll install what i can (the full squares) tomorrow and pick up the cut pieces next week. by installing the full squares tomorrow, i should be able to set the stove on sat or sun...(wishful thinking?) then i can grout the whole mess after i install the cut pieces.
sorry to hear about mrs. ornery's injury. i think everyone feels like a sad sack at some time or another. just put a splitting maul in her hand...that way the wound won't "stiffen up!"

Status
Not open for further replies.