4th load of white oak scrounge goes bad.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
Did you guys know that white oak bounces.

Rob

Attachments

• 2010_1003Image0001.jpg
    2010_1003Image0001.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 840
That sucks, time for one of those tough guy racks to protect the glass. On the bright side, if you sell the oak, you will have more than enough to pay for the replacement glass.

That sucks. One reason why I don't load over the sides. Another is because I'd hate to kill somebody because wood fell out of my truck.

Yeah, without some form of protection I wouldnt go any higher than the bedwalls. And in that case I only toss a small pile in then hop in and stack it tight in rows. That gives you max capacity and minimizes accidentally chucking wood where it shouldnt go. But I dont like to be limited in capacity that much so built one of these... think it turned out well and already used it a bunch. Heaped slightly I stack taller than the cab. I think my calc made it around 1.1 cord. Ended up costing me a little more than I wanted (mainly the chain gate for the back) but it was well worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0133-800.jpg
    IMG_0133-800.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 758
Take a pallet with you and stand it up at the front of the bed when you're tossing wood.

That is what I call a 329 dollar load of wood. My dad did that so I learned from him... Bummer...

Thats another reason why I stay away from oak!

Battenkiller said:
Too bad. Hope you have glass coverage on your auto policy.
burntime said:
That is what I call a 329 dollar load of wood...
Probably $350 deductible on the insurance.

Yep, thats one that you usually get to pay for out of pocket...

LLigetfa said:

Glass breakage is under the "comprehensive" coverage on an auto policy. Usually no deductible and they send out one of those mobile rigs and the guy changes it at your house or where ya work.

I have the same in my truck but I have my stake bed rails about 6" or so over the top of the cab. Even with heaping stacks it's only about 1 cord. I did get 1.25 cords in it once but it looked like the Beverly Hillbilys going down the road.

pile o’ wood said:
Yeah, without some form of protection I wouldnt go any higher than the bedwalls. And in that case I only toss a small pile in then hop in and stack it tight in rows. That gives you max capacity and minimizes accidentally chucking wood where it shouldnt go. But I dont like to be limited in capacity that much so built one of these... think it turned out well and already used it a bunch. Heaped slightly I stack taller than the cab. I think my calc made it around 1.1 cord. Ended up costing me a little more than I wanted (mainly the chain gate for the back) but it was well worth it.

I don't know too many people that have zero deductable. I have $500 on both comp and collision. Figure if I can't afford $500 (fairly minor damage) then I'm doing something wrong.

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

Glass breakage is under the "comprehensive" coverage on an auto policy. Usually no deductible and they send out one of those mobile rigs and the guy changes it at your house or where ya work.

Reactions: farmboy05
NATE379 said:
I don't know too many people that have zero deductable. I have $500 on both comp and collision. Figure if I can't afford $500 (fairly minor damage) then I'm doing something wrong.

Interesting. I have never had an agent even mention a deductible for comp. I have five hundred deductible on collision but each car is only twenty-five bucks a year for comp and no deductible.

BrotherBart said:
NATE379 said:

Interesting. I have never had an agent even mention a deductible for comp. I have five hundred deductible on collision but each car is only twenty-five bucks a year for comp and no deductible.

Hmm you made me think. We have a 500 ded on collision (and I thought comp too) but we have had 2 windsheild chips repaired and 1 new windshield put in all at no cost in the last few years. Well not 100% sure on the entire replacement if there was any cost, but it certainly didnt fall under our $500 ded. I'll have to ask the wifey, it was her car that needed the windshield.

NATE379 said:
I have the same in my truck but I have my stake bed rails about 6" or so over the top of the cab. Even with heaping stacks it's only about 1 cord. I did get 1.25 cords in it once but it looked like the Beverly Hillbilys going down the road.
Due to garage clearences at work I didnt want to go over the cab, and I didnt want the spacing to big between the rails using 2x6's so it worked out a couple inches less cab height. I was going to make a bolt on rack across the top that I could put on that would be a few inches taller if I need to take ladders or something long, canoe/kayak etc. The only way I struggle with filling the whole 1.1 cord is the very last row, there is a gap between the 4th row and the tailgate (I usually try and cut 20") so not quite enough to get a 5th row. I stack sideways in bottom or vertical to get a bit above the tailgate but I dont like stacking stuff where the only thing holding it in is my chain gate since I'm sure some peices could wiggle through - the holes arent really small. but heaping up usually makes up for the last row above the tailgate.

If insurance does not cover the glass, shop around. I had a new windsheild put in my 1 ton Chevy last spring for $200.

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

+1 Call your insurance company! Most will repair or replace!

Had to replace the windshield on my wife's car a while back and I thought we'd have to pay the deductible as well. Nope. Full glass coverage, didn't cost us a dime. Check it out before you do anything.

I have had windshields and two passenger windors replaced (theft) and I have never paid a deductible. I have a deductible if I get in an accident but glass has always been free.

See I fit 5 rows and that gives me 1 cord. If I stack the rows really high and run about 1/2 a 6th row I can get the extra .25 cord. The 6th row overhangs the bed a little bit though.

I cut my the normal 16" length though. How do you measure a cord with 20" logs?

As far as glass replacment I have been driving for about 15 years and have replaced 2 windshield, both were cracked when I bought the car, and one side window in my Jeep that someone broke out. Total cost... ~$500

Done it. At least yours was oak. Mine was trash.

Its a good reminder that tomorrow when I unload the box elder I have on the FIL's half ton that it is time to make a rack to protect the back window. I should be building stake sides for the whole box to increase the capacity as we have never even bent the springs on it even when loaded way above the box.

NATE379 said:
See I fit 5 rows and that gives me 1 cord. If I stack the rows really high and run about 1/2 a 6th row I can get the extra .25 cord. The 6th row overhangs the bed a little bit though.

I cut my the normal 16" length though. How do you measure a cord with 20" logs?

I am measuring the volume of the back of the truck, not of the actual wood. I could have stacked the wood all up seperate after I unloaded it to measure it but that would have been too much extra work. It went from the back of the truck onto the splitter and then into one of 3 different piles depending. So not sure how much exact wood I had on there, just measuring the space that it fit into. As far as actually measuring a cord with 20" logs its easiest to break it down into cubic inches instead of cubic feet. For example 1cord = 128 cu ft = 221,184 cu in. Or you can just use google and type in how many cubic inches (LxWxH just like in feet) and it will calculate it for you... google will do math and unit conversion right on the search bar. For example say we have a row of 20" splits that is 8' wide (96") and 6 foot tall (72"). Just copy and past this into the google search bar: 20*96*72 cubic inches into cords you can do the same thing with feet btw, type in 4*4*8 cubic feet into cords sure you can find calculators all over the net for different apps but few know you can do most anything right on the google search bar from scientific operations to unit conversion ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.