5 1/4-Gallon Ash Can for Shop Vacuum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offingmoot

Jul 15, 2008
Central/South Jersey
For the fines in a pellet stove I think it would be kinda useless /redundant. It does not catch fine ashes but only the clunkers/clinkers.

One guy at work cleans this way:

He uses a regular shop vac with a old long hose from his pool.
He sets the shop vac outside.
If it blows a little dust, it will fall on the snow outside.
He seems to be happy with how this works.

lessoil said:
One guy at work cleans this way:

He uses a regular shop vac with a old long hose from his pool.
He sets the shop vac outside.
If it blows a little dust, it will fall on the snow outside.
He seems to be happy with how this works.

He might be better served to leave the vac inside where he can get at the on/off switch and connect that old pool hose to the exhaust port.. Of course either way he has to leave a door or window ajar for the long hose thus creating a cold draft for the duration of his cleaning.

If you re going to modify a shop vac to catch fines I think my solution makes more sense.
That is unless you can find the proper sheetrock dust or HEPA filter for your vac..
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/100614117

Giovanni,
My Father in Law's last name is Zollo. Grew up in Danvers
Love the homemade ravioli!!

You are right, he would be letting in cold air while cleaning.
Your idea looks good!
Much easier to deal with than the idea below. (Which I have not tried yet!)

What materials for filter etc.

******************************************************************************************
There was another idea floating around for joint compound dust.
Use a 5 gal pail with cover and put water in it maybe 1/3 full?

Setup one pipe through the top to be short. That would go to the shop vac suction.
Setup a 2nd pipe so it is long enough to be under water; maybe as close to the bottom as possible.
Hook the hose which collects dust/dirt to this longer pipe. In theory the dust would get pulled in under water and be trapped.
Hopefully the water would have enough time to wet the dust and keep it in the water.
Modifications might have to be done if the air bubbles carry the dust to the surface and on to the shop vac.

My 2 cents
******************************************************************************************

It doesn't matter whether the warm air is being blown out or sucked out, the make-up air is still cold.

lessoil said:
Giovanni,
My Father in Law's last name is Zollo. Grew up in Danvers
Love the homemade ravioli!!

You are right, he would be letting in cold air while cleaning.
Your idea looks good!
Much easier to deal with than the idea below. (Which I have not tried yet!)

What materials for filter etc.

There was another idea floating around for joint compound dust.
Use a 5 gal pail with cover and put water in it maybe 1/3 full?

Setup one pipe through the top to be short. That would go to the shop vac suction.
Setup a 2nd pipe so it is long enough to be under water; maybe as close to the bottom as possible.
Hook the hose which collects dust/dirt to this longer pipe. In theory the dust would get pulled in under water and be trapped.
Hopefully the water would have enough time to wet the dust and keep it in the water.
Modifications might have to be done if the air bubbles carry the dust to the surface and on to the shop vac.

My 2 cents

The homemade vino is even better. heh,heh.
Here`s my setup:
Here`s my $5 homemade shop vac attachment that will help trap fine particles when cleaning your stove. It is used in combination with the vac`s original paper / cloth filter .
It consists of a 2” plastic central vac system T and a couple wraps of electrical tape to make a tight friction fit into the vac`s exhaust hole .
This eliminates the need to buy a long exhaust hose to stick out the window or purchase any kind of special additional filter as suggested by some forum users.
If you look closely you will see two layers of hot air duct filter material sandwiched between 2 cut and then force fitted galvanized screen discs in the T ends. A lip inside the T prevents it from pushing in too far.
I chose the T (two exhaust ports) simply to compensate for the reduced pressure that the added filter would have added to this setup.
I figured if one layer of this filter material traps dust particles in a home 2 layers should trap the fine particles

Here`s the link to my pictures below. Just click around to view them all.
John
http://www.pbase.com/johnd1/image/100614111

I just used drywall dust bags in my shop vac. Worked great. Dust was not an issue.

so much experience and knowledge on this board
i can get a hepa or drywall filter for my vac so if dust is an issue i will go that route
thanx all for your replies

Status
Not open for further replies.