5:30am, the snow is blown, the wood bin is full, and I am debating on taking off of work!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
:bug: :bug: Nothing like moving a foot of snow and warming up by the fireplace! What do people do without a stove? Huddle around the heat register? :bug:

No debate here. Teachers enjoy snowdays as much, if not more, than the students. We've gained over three inches of snow and three degrees in the stove room in the last 1.5 hours. Looking forward to a day of feeding the stove.

burntime said:
:bug: :bug: Huddle around the heat register? :bug:

If we are gone for a period of time that will result in the wood stove going out, I usually turn on electric heat in one baseboard heater in a common area of the house to keep that warm until we return.

It is a riot to see our cat try and cuddle with that thing after it's lover, "The big black heat machine" has gone cold.

Enjoy your day off. I will have my own foot of snow to move about 4pm today.

pen

Snowin' pretty good here. "They" say 6-12" today, more sunday, more monday night/tuesday.

Well, should be a white Christmas!.

burntime said:
:bug: :bug: Nothing like moving a foot of snow and warming up by the fireplace! What do people do without a stove? Huddle around the heat register? :bug:

Aw heck, take the day off, and tomorrow, too!! :)

Texas boy said:
burntime said:

Aw heck, take the day off, and tomorrow, too!! :)

Yep, just called in, the driveway has 4 plus inches of new snow again...

schortie said:
No debate here. Teachers enjoy snowdays as much, if not more, than the students. We've gained over three inches of snow and three degrees in the stove room in the last 1.5 hours. Looking forward to a day of feeding the stove.

I couldn't agree more. I got the call yesterday at 5:45 am and normally, I don't think I'm a great dancer, but I really think my snow day dance has some fantastic moves.

hilly said:
schortie said:

I couldn't agree more. I got the call yesterday at 5:45 am and normally, I don't think I'm a great dancer, but I really think my snow day dance has some fantastic moves.

You should see my wife (teacher) and my 2 and 3 1/2 year old doing the snow dance! Yep, its a nuthouse! The snowblowing will be an out!!! :p

The snow has just let up some here but we were getting over 2" per hour. Looks like the back side of the storm isn't that far away now so we'll go back to pushing the albino rain around again....and wait a day or two for the next one.

My prediction for this winter sure has made me wrong! Of course, the winter isn't over yet. Well, it hasn't even begun! We'll see.

we just started getting the storm at 11:30. It is now 1:33 and we have about 2-3" on the ground already.

Flurries started here around 9:30 and the temperature is still above freezing. About an inch of hail & snow so far. Loaded up the NC 30 before I left for work this morning at 6:30 for the little lady.

Snow began here about an hour ago -- there is a bit more than an inch down with more than a foot expected. Plenty of wood at the ready and a couple of filets to go on the coals later for dinner. Life is good!

I went grocery shopping yesterday, load tons of wood in the house, enough for about a week and a half. Now just waiting for the man to come home and start up the snow blower...wish he would have showed me how to use the darn thing...lol. We have about 1 foot of snow here in Ontario. AND another 10-20cm coming Sunday, and then again on Tuesday night! I'm a bit worried about the snow on the roof, think it might need to be shoveled off. :(

40 deg out and raining on top of a foot of slush that used to be snow.
Far too heavy for the snowblower, New England Crud to the max.

Probably feeze solid into a mass of ice tomorrow.

Toro 1800 powercurve electric snow thrower 2003 with a stretched out drive belt. out of commision, but did 4 hrs of snow blowing before the belt gave it up. Had to finish some of the job with a manuel opperated snow shovel. More shoveling to do, but overwelmed with fatigue & raining hard now anyways, but too cold for snow to melt.

Toro 2500-5 hp paddle wheeler with 2 year old tank of gas & a varnished carb (temporarly out of commission) 2001

Toro 26/8 hp with 2 yr old gas ,varinished carb (temporarly out of commision)1990

Toro 24/5hp drained gas tank & good carb , streched auger belt, temporarly out of commision. 1960 ( for $30.oo they sold me too short of a replacement belt to get onto the blower pulleys)

ariens 24/5 drained gas tank & good carb, broken spring on belt tension idler wheel,temporarly out of commision 1968

ariens 24/5 varnished gas tank & carb, temporarly out of commision.1969

1 snow shovel, works great!! 1995

last winter,it didn't snow but once & now I am getting bit in the butt for not maintaining my snow blowers.

Going to have to install that last section of stove pipe to the wood stove in the garage,
fire up the stove & reopen Larry's Snowblower Repair Shop & then it probably won't snow again the rest of the winter, just because i got all (or maybe just some) my snow blowers repaired !!!

1. I really hate shoveling snow.
2. I don't like snow blowing all that much better.
3. I am sick to death of repairing snow blowers.
4. The snow plow isn't any easier to opperate than the snow blower, it just gets bigger cleared areas done.
5. I though I was retired, but I am working harder now than when I worked for a living.

I'm extremely jealous!

I know I'll be kicking myself later for this... but I wish WE had some snow!

We didn't get squat last year & that's just so unusual around here. We has one that was good 6" but immediately turned to slush and was a bugger to move, even with the blower.

Everyone @ my office knows there's now way they're gonna see me on the first snow day of the year. (if it gets over 4 - 5 inches or so)

fishinpa, I know what you mean. We have a son who lives not far from you and he feels the same way. He wants some snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.