5.5" diameter chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

esh21167

Dec 27, 2007
Central PA
I was checking out my chimney before ordering a liner and I don't think I'll be able to get a 6" diameter liner down it. It's an exterior masonry chimney almost 30 feet from hearth to top. I'm installing a Napoleon 1401 insert and wondered if a 5.5" diameter liner would provide enough draft. Thanks.

Yep, mine is only 22ft and a 5inch liner. lots of draft. actually more draft than with a larger dia. liner. only thing is , burn hot and clean, cause only a little amount of creosote can effect the draft. simply because the diameter is so much smaller. on the other hand that smaller dia. will give you greater draft.

Dry nicely seasoned wood is the KEY here. ;-)

With a 30' stack on the Napoleon, too much draft may be a more real problem. The 5.5 pipe may actually help.

I also have a 5.5inch liner in an exterior chimney with no issues.

Also, are there 5.5 to 6" adapters for connection to the insert?

Eric H said:
Also, are there 5.5 to 6" adapters for connection to the insert?

When you order the liner kit specify a 5.5 to 6 inch insert adapter.

Yes, but they are hard to find since most stoves in the U.S use a 6" flue ID.
Your local hardware/hearth store should be able to custom order one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.