5.5" round Poly brush for titanium chimney - where to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownPA

Feb 15, 2007
Newtown, PA
I've been having a hard time finding a 5.5" round Poly chimney brush for a titanium chimney. Anyone know where to buy this unusual size? Would it be feasable to buy a 6" brush and use wire cutters to snip 1/4 inch off the ends of the poly bristles?

Titanium? I learn new stuff here all the time. If you don't mind me asking......... just how much is a titanium chimney per ft.?

Reactions: vetrano
I've looked high and far for a 5.5 brush with no luck. I ended up cutting down a 6" brush.

polaris said:
Titanium? I learn new stuff here all the time. If you don't mind me asking......... just how much is a titanium chimney per ft.?

Yeah...stainless is bad enough. I've never even seen titanium chimney sections.

Very curious as well, Titanium?

Watch your chimney people have been stealing catalytic converters off of cars because titanium prices are so high! True Story!!! Where do you live again? :smirk:

It's standard 316Ti ("titanium-steel") chimney liner not solid titanium. 316Ti (UNS S31635) is a titanium stabilized version of Type 316 molybdenum-bearing austenitic stainless steel. The Type 316 alloys are more resistant to general corrosion and pitting/crevice corrosion than the conventional chromium-nickel austenitic stainless steels such as Type 304.

Anyway, I bought it from Rockford as a kit:
http://www.chimneylinerinc.com/

So yeah, looks like I'm going to have to buy a 6" and cut it down to 5.5".

Are you sure they didn't sneak you a '316 Ti" stainless liner and just call it 'titanium' (hope they didn't charge a bunch extra)

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=2868

316Ti

Another variation of 316 is available. This variation is 316Ti. Stainless steel 316Ti contains a small amount of titanium. Titanium content is typically only around 0.5%. The titanium atoms stabilize the structure of the 316 at temperatures over 800°C. This prevents carbide precipitation from the grain boundaries and protects the metal from corrosion. The main advantage of 316Ti is that it can be held at higher temperatures for a longer period without sensitization (precipitation) occurring. 316Ti retains physical and mechanical properties similar to standard grades of 316.

With that said, even a 6" brush was tight in my 6" liner if you did get one to work, it might easily be a one way trip (you'd never get the bristles to reverse direction inside the flue) The thought of clipping all those bristles made me cringe - but I did have good success running it for a few seconds on a belt sander to shave a bit off the tips.

-PS - fast typer! I see you've already got the Ti sorted out.

Same boat as you last year. I bought a 6" poly brush and spent some time cutting it down to size with side dikes. It took some time but works fine. No way would a 6" brush worked for me.

Dykes are a hand tool that cuts wires. etc. Can be had at any local hardware store or box store.
Ignore the "click to enlarge".

Attachments

• dyke.jpg
    dyke.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 523
Short for Diaignal Cutting Pliers I think. My 6 inch S/S liner ended up a little oblong rather than round after installation which makes it diffucult to get a 6 inch wire brush through it. Do the poly brushes work easier?

Pine Knot said:
Short for Diaignal Cutting Pliers I think. My 6 inch S/S liner ended up a little oblong rather than round after installation which makes it diffucult to get a 6 inch wire brush through it. Do the poly brushes work easier?
I thought it was poor idea to use steel brushes on on ss chimneys to begin with.

Hogwildz said:
Dykes are a hand tool that cuts wires. etc. Can be had at any local hardware store or box store.

Thanks for covering that question for me Hog :p While I am at it you don't happen to have any towers laying around in pieces or some copper laying around from some work you might have done around your state in Pa. :vampire: Seems there is a radio tower missing in your state on the news I read.

struggle said:
Hogwildz said:

Thanks for covering that question for me Hog :p While I am at it you don't happen to have any towers laying around in pieces or some copper laying around from some work you might have done around your state in Pa. :vampire: Seems there is a radio tower missing in your state on the news I read.

I have some copper slides left from my roofing days working on slate roofs.
I have no tower, wish I did, steel is like $17.00 per 100 lbs here at the scrap yard.

Ok fuggers, here ya go, don't say I never found something no one else has. ;)
5-1/2" poly brushes, they will custom make anything you want.
http://www.caseybrush.com/custom_polyclean.html

And for the last GD time, steel or poly, both work fine, I'll stick with steel.

Hogwildz said:
Ok fuggers, here ya go...

Indeed we are, especially during initial break-in fires.

fugnoun. Stale air, esp. the humid, warm, ill-smelling air of a crowded room, kitchen, etc.

Rick

Last year when I went looking for a 5" poly brush I had no luck with the hardware stores. On the other hand both the Regency and the PE dealers had them. Have you tried a fireplace dealer near you?

struggle said:
I bought a 6" poly brush and spent some time cutting it down to size with side dikes. It took some time but works fine. No way would a 6" brush worked for me.

Same here. Only took five minutes or so... probably shoulda cut a little more off, it's still a tight fit. But that liner comes out CLEAN!

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.