5 Acre's of Trees...ALL MINE UPDATED W/PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got it right, cut it up as long as you can handle and spread it out at home.

Most of us guys are trying to imagine how you're going to get five acres worth of logs onto a half acre lot, and then get it cut, split and stacked before it rots, because that just doesn't happen where we live. But if you've got the inclination and use for a huge amount of wood, then by all means cut as much as you can and process it when you get around to it. Cottonwood will obviously dry cleaner and quicker cut to length and split, but I would guess that piled in log form it will season in your climate, maybe grow some mushrooms first, but not turn punky like it would even here in western WI. Almost any other wood dries quicker and rots slower than cottonwood, but that's likely what you have most of. Some of the locals should be able to tell you what will happen if you pile wet cottonwood logs for years. Another option might be to drop them now, and cut to length after they have leafed out, wilted and the leaves have fallen off. Most places east of the Mississippi would have the tree sink roots and keep on growing if we tried that.

That looks and sounds like a huge amount of wood. I have no idea of your priorities, but if I had a need for that much wood, I would be calling loggers to do the whole job and deliver it into one monster pile. You'll still have enough work to justify the 362.

I suggest you get something in writing. You are going to have alot of site work involved in getting burnable wood out and dont want to have any misunderstandings half way through.

mtarbert said:
I suggest you get something in writing. You are going to have alot of site work involved in getting burnable wood out and dont want to have any misunderstandings half way through.

Good luck with that. The only way around those misunderstandings is to cut a trailer load at a time and take it home. Ride the wave till it hits the beach.

08brute said:
I just did some figuring... I can lift about a 16" Diameter 20' log with my skid steer but i could only haul about 4 or 5 of them on my trailer at a time. Think it would be worth cutting them in 20' lengths and hauling them 1/2 mile to my house to cut up at a later date? I could probably cut twice as much wood out of this grove that way.

I use that approach but only when it is close enough for me to drive the tractor home because I can't fit it on the trailer when the trailer is full of wood and I need it at the house to unload it. I would want to get as much on my property as quickly as I could and then take my time processing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.