5 Cords now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarzy

Dec 27, 2010
Chalfont, PA
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to run down my plan with the board to see if I am on track. I plan to purchase split wood (“mixed hardwoods) at the end of the month, 5 cords worth. I think the trees were cut anytime from last spring to current time. If I stack them, do you think they will be ready and seasoned by Fall of next year? Also, what spacing should a be using between cord stacks?

Thanks!

If its all mostly oak, its a crap shoot. Oak takes 2 yrs in good conditions to season to <20%mc.
Any other woods you should be ok.

gzecc said:
If its all mostly oak, its a crap shoot. Oak takes 2 yrs in good conditions to season to <20%mc.
Any other woods you should be ok.

+1 but mix hardwoods you should still be better than anyone else in your area.

+2. Seperate out any Oak you see in there & count on it taking an extra year (maybe more). Give the Oak a good open area just like the rest (don't throw it in a heap in the corner for later) or it will still dissapoint the following year.
Single stacking would be best for seasoning time, I'd leave a walking aisle between rows.

Depends . . . mostly on species . . . but also how small the wood is split, exposure to wind and sun, etc. I would guess if we're not talking about a dense wood like oak you will end up with wood that will be OK to use . . . not great, but not bad.

If you are doing well financially, perhaps purchase 10 cord. I know this is a big investment, but if you are not far ahead on wood, doing this will pay off big time in the future. You'll be able to set aside any oak for year two, and not have to burn the oak if it is not optimal for next year. I'd hate to burn relatively unseasoned oak - not only for the pain of trying to get it to burn well, but for the fact that once seasoned, it burns so well - hot and long. Once you are two years ahead, then you can start to purchase only what you burned for that year, and stay two years ahead. Again, dropping this much $ upfront can be tough, but....you'll have to spend the $ eventually anyway and the better burns you'll get with well-seasoned wood make the short term pain worthwhile. Plus, once you are ahead, you can relax a little and try to scrounge more of your wood, without worrying about having enough wood for the next year. Cheers!

firefighterjake said:
I would guess if we're not talking about a dense wood like oak you will end up with wood that will be OK to use . . . not great, but not bad.

Many dense woods would be fine in a year under good conditions. Hard maple and white ash are both pretty dense, and they season fast. Beech, black and yellow birch, black locust - all denser than oak, but either low-moisture woods or quick seasoning ones. Even shagbark hickory seems fine if left out for a full year, and that's about as dense as it gets... except for that orange coal stuff (hedge).

Battenkiller said:
firefighterjake said:
I would guess if we're not talking about a dense wood like oak you will end up with wood that will be OK to use . . . not great, but not bad.

Many dense woods would be fine in a year under good conditions. Hard maple and white ash are both pretty dense, and they season fast. Beech, black and yellow birch, black locust - all denser than oak, but either low-moisture woods or quick seasoning ones. Even shagbark hickory seems fine if left out for a full year, and that's about as dense as it gets... except for that orange coal stuff (hedge).

Good point about it being a combination of how dense the wood is . . . as well as the moisture content.

NH wood made a good point.

try to get a year ahead if possible. each year I cut for the year after the next coming winter - it took me a couple years to get ahead cutting extra each year, but I can slow down now (though i probably wont). that way you never have to worry about wood being dry enough - and its a huge pain to try to burn less than ideal wood.

you don't want to be in the same boat again next year, wondering if your wood will be ready by next winter.

Yarzy said:
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to run down my plan with the board to see if I am on track. I plan to purchase split wood (“mixed hardwoods) at the end of the month, 5 cords worth. I think the trees were cut anytime from last spring to current time. If I stack them, do you think they will be ready and seasoned by Fall of next year? Also, what spacing should a be using between cord stacks?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Yarzy.

As others have stated, it all depends upon the wood as to how long to dry it. I also always wonder cautiously when someone says mixed hardwoods. I've seen more than one selling a lot of popple that way and that makes a poor firewood. So I'd check to see what the mix is and then determine if you want it or not.

As for spacing, 3' between the rows is certainly not too much. I'd rather advise 5' or more between the rows. Stack so the wind will hit the the sides of the stacks. I'd cover them right away simply to keep the snow off but cover only the top of the stacks. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.