5 inch wall thimble ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Anyone know where to get a wall thimble for 5 inch pipe? I haven't been able to find one anywhere.

I'm putting 18 feet of 5" rigid liner inside an interior masonry (brick) chimney and have everything sourced except for the wall pass-through.

Dumb question, but have you checked w/ Magnaflex, or some of the other popular on-line liner vendors?

Gooserider

Thanks Goose, yes I looked everywhere online. Ended up getting a class B thimble - since it's a brick chimney and there's nothing combustible in sight, it should work fine.

Forget the Class B route... it turns out that 5" Class B pipe is not really 5 inches diameter... it's 5.5"... sheesh. Why can't they call it what it is?

Since it's here, I'll probably go ahead and use it - pack the cavity with kaowool and then seal it.

precaud said:
Forget the Class B route... it turns out that 5" Class B pipe is not really 5 inches diameter... it's 5.5"... sheesh. Why can't they call it what it is?

Since it's here, I'll probably go ahead and use it - pack the cavity with kaowool and then seal it.

Interesting tidbit there for us 5.5" liner owners. That makes a few more connection options available to us.

Good point, BB.

One wonders... if the point is thermal isolation, why are thimbles made of metal?

FYI for others that might read the thread - B vent allows aluminum in the construction, which would melt with one good wood fire!

Probably means nothing in this case since it is 100% masonry, but heck - why not just use a piece of 5" rigid ss pipe, or a 6" crock with kaowool?

I notice you need the thimble for a wall pass-through. We use a short length of Class A insulated chimney for this, with a flue extender and end cap on the inside end to trim it up and allow drip-free connection of the stove pipe. Selkirk Metalbestos offers 5" Class A in their Platinum Series Ultra Temp line that would enable 2" clearance to your combustible wall. Here's part numbers:

5" x 9" Length... 5UT-9
5" X 18" Length... 5UT-18

While looking up these part numbers, I came across a part I've never seen, which MB describes as an "Insulated Wall Thimble", part #5T-IWT. No photo in the price list, but might be just what you're looking for. You'll find contact info on Selkirk's website at http://www.selkirkusa.com/.

Tom, I looked at that part but it is for 5" doublewall and would require adapters into the Tee... no space for that inside the chimney.

Craig, this thimble isn't aluminum, so no worries there. I think it will work out fine. Once the other components arrive I'll get on it!

Interesting to note, not a single piece of this chimney was available locally... sigh.

What brand and part number is that thimble precaud? One of them would pretty up my office stove installation.

In the event of I can make anything to your specs.. thanks Goose for the heads up to the end consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.