5 Loads of Oak for $100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Just when I was thinking my scrounging sources were drying up on me, I found 5 loads of all Oak at a garage sale for $100! What a score, most is already bucked up but there is a pile of logs I still need to cut. The guy asked me what I thought the pile was worth and I asked him how much would you give me for $100. He said you can have the whole thing! About a dozen of the rounds are monster Bur Oak, probably 24" diameter. I'm 3 years ahead now, Yeehaww! :cheese:

Attachments

• 000_0016.jpg
    000_0016.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 817
Nice! Our first find was also at a garage sale! They were moving to Florida and the wife saw the pile out back and said, "you're not planning on moving that are you?!" Very nice trailer, mind if I ask the details on it? I'm starting to set my next goal on one just that size. I think a trailer would be a better next step than saving up for a splitter. Unless I can find that at a garage sale!

Wow, good deal!

Be careful with that trailer, that looks like a lot of weight for what appears to be a fairly light duty single axle trailer! E rated tires are a must when you start over loading...

The trailer is rated for 4000lbs, heavy duty frame, axle and springs, but your right about the tires, I need E rated so I'm still pretty careful loading.

A blowout with a full load of wood in a single axle trailer isn't a whole lot of fun. I now keep a 3 ton floor jack and a spare in the back of the truck. Replacing the Cs with Es has kept me from needing to use them.

Todd - if its 5 trailer loads of the size pictured, you made out real good. Gotta love the easy stuff. And in my book, anything that you can pull your trailer up to and throw a load in...is easy stuff.

Jags said:
Todd - if its 5 trailer loads of the size pictured, you made out real good. Gotta love the easy stuff. And in my book, anything that you can pull your trailer up to and throw a load in...is easy stuff.

Yep, 5 trailer loads. And only 1/2 mile away.

Great score,
some of those without bark look like you can split them and burn them pretty soon. That is what some of my standing dead looked like and it burned great 3 months after splitting.

Yeah, it was all standing dead, not much bark except the big rounds and no punk at all. I'll split it this Fall/Winter and won't burn it til 2011-2012, should be prime burning.

Congrats Borther!

Way to go Todd. Sometimes you just fall in it, eh?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a score! Congrats and happy splitting. Oak is actually fun to split. No fighting with it, it just kinda pops apart!

It only turned out to be 4.5 loads. %-P I picked up the last two today and I figure I got just under 3 full cords total. Oh well I gues I still have some room left for more scrounging. :cheese:

Todd said:
It only turned out to be 4.5 loads. %-P I picked up the last two today and I figure I got just under 3 full cords total. Oh well I gues I still have some room left for more scrounging. :cheese:

Whoo hooo....time for some hedge or Hickory to round things off.

Jags said:
Todd said:

Sounds good to me Jags, when do you want me to come down and pick it up? :lol:

Todd said:
Jags said:
Todd said:

Sounds good to me Jags, when do you want me to come down and pick it up? :lol:

Heck, I thought I would come up there and catch your overflow. Maybe get a little walleye fishing in to boot. (Chetek is a long time stomping ground for me :cheese: )

I'm just south of Chetek on Lake Wissota, plenty of Walleyes here, but they have been kind a hard to come by lately with the hot weather last week. I got to get my butt out there fishing now that it cooled off.

Status
Not open for further replies.