5" to 6" DVL adapter for a Four Dog DX stove to 6" DVL pipe system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

superstructure

Jan 10, 2024
Minnesota
In my yurt I've got 6" DVL running up to the chimney. I've had a terrible time with an old Waterford leprechaun stove trying to get it hot in there. I've recently purchased a four dog DX based on many folks recommendations who live in offgrid yurts like mine full time in the area. My issue is that the pipe for the Four Dog is a 5" and my DVL is a 6"

Do you think I could use this DVL 5">6" adapter to go from the 5" opening to connect up to my pipe successfully?

A huge question I have is about the double wall and how the damper/adapter section would interface. Would it make more sense to get a blackpipe 5">6" adapter for below the damper/adapter instead?

I would basically be going, Stove > Adapter > Damper section > Solid section > Telescoping section > Chimney

That will likely be an issue as you suspect. It may work but that’s pretty expensive, not knowing for sure. If you’ve got clearance all around single should work fine. Do you have a hardware store around that would have one in stock?

I hate to say it, but I knew the Leprechaun stove was too small. Be careful with the tent stove, it needs wide clearances. It's lightweight metal.

I've got loads of clearance, stove is in the center of an 18' yurt. I have at least 3' clearance in all directions. So single wall shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the heads up on the clearance with the tent stove. I'll make sure the keep things in the space well away!

I'll pickup a single wall and see if that works first if you (@webby3650) think that's the direction to go!

I've got loads of clearance, stove is in the center of an 18' yurt. I have at least 3' clearance in all directions. So single wall shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the heads up on the clearance with the tent stove. I'll make sure the keep things in the space well away!

I'll pickup a single wall and see if that works first if you (@webby3650) think that's the direction to go!
In this instance I would.

It looks like the DVL increaser would work, but it might need a short section of single wall 5" to connect to the stove depending on the stove's flue collar OD and ID. Or it might just fit.

Agreed that the single-wall DuraBlack increaser will fit properly. To do so it needs to mate with the inner liner of the DVL stovepipe. The top side of the DuraBlack adapter is 6 1/8" while the OD of DVL is 7" and ID of the inner liner is 6".