1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

$50 a pickup load worth of dry apple

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WonderingWoman, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WonderingWoman

WonderingWoman New Member

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    I'm really happy, I found a great source of dry apple, as much as I can cram in my pickup. It's not cut to stove length, but easy to do that with my chop saw. He had cherry too. Most of it's not super thick, but it's great. Really nice orchardist also helped me load. He's got lots more, I'll be back in the spring, this is all for next year anyways since I'm set for this year.

I also have been scrounging scrap wood around town, found about a cord's worth of a collapsed shed.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Sound like a good deal, I have cut down a bunch of peach and apple trees for an older fellow that has a small orchard and it's nice burning stuff I even save some to use in the fireplace got about 1 1/2 cords seasoning for next year and 10 + more trees to take down. Smells like money.
  3. WonderingWoman

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    This guy has 90 acres of mostly apple trees. This is in the heart of the Washington apple growing region. I already have everything cut to length. Super nice family man. Looking at it, it was over 1/2 cord that I got.
  4. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Bring your saw and cut it to length on site. You'll get more wood for your $50.
  5. offroadaudio

offroadaudio New Member

Loc:
    South Central Pa.
    I get longer burns from apple than from oak - love it. It's the best - except maybe the legendary Black Locust which I have not tried yet.
  6. day52

day52 New Member

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Love apple and cherry and pear. Burning some right now! Make sure to save some for smoking/grilling if you are into that. Adds a nice flavor to poultry or pork. Congrats on the find!
  7. Adabiviak

Adabiviak Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sierra Nevadas, California
    In the central valley of California, there are quite a few orchards with fairly substantial piles (some maybe hundreds of cords) of cut, split, and seasoned fruit and nut wood, typically for $50 for a box (fills up the bed of my small truck to just a bit overflowing). I always snag a load when I make a trip to the city.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Apple is one of the very best woods you can burn. The only down side is that most of it is small stuff, but still lots of heat in apple wood. Good find!
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I would love to have couple loads for the smoker!(good deal)
  10. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    $50 a load is, for most, about $150 a cord- not cut to length, split, or delivered. It is a premium species. In many parts of the country, that's not a good deal, but here it might be good.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    if this is real pick up load with tail gate you can get 1/2 cord per load or real close to it!
  12. WonderingWoman

Loc:
    Pacific NW
    I piled it pretty high because I have a canopy on the back of the truck. Plus, I filled up the back seat of the cab.
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    good for you i would say thats a half cord for sure 100 a cord good deal.Bring me some!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.