$50 a pickup load worth of dry apple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
I'm really happy, I found a great source of dry apple, as much as I can cram in my pickup. It's not cut to stove length, but easy to do that with my chop saw. He had cherry too. Most of it's not super thick, but it's great. Really nice orchardist also helped me load. He's got lots more, I'll be back in the spring, this is all for next year anyways since I'm set for this year.

I also have been scrounging scrap wood around town, found about a cord's worth of a collapsed shed.

Sound like a good deal, I have cut down a bunch of peach and apple trees for an older fellow that has a small orchard and it's nice burning stuff I even save some to use in the fireplace got about 1 1/2 cords seasoning for next year and 10 + more trees to take down. Smells like money.

This guy has 90 acres of mostly apple trees. This is in the heart of the Washington apple growing region. I already have everything cut to length. Super nice family man. Looking at it, it was over 1/2 cord that I got.

I get longer burns from apple than from oak - love it. It's the best - except maybe the legendary Black Locust which I have not tried yet.

Love apple and cherry and pear. Burning some right now! Make sure to save some for smoking/grilling if you are into that. Adds a nice flavor to poultry or pork. Congrats on the find!

In the central valley of California, there are quite a few orchards with fairly substantial piles (some maybe hundreds of cords) of cut, split, and seasoned fruit and nut wood, typically for $50 for a box (fills up the bed of my small truck to just a bit overflowing). I always snag a load when I make a trip to the city.

Apple is one of the very best woods you can burn. The only down side is that most of it is small stuff, but still lots of heat in apple wood. Good find!

I would love to have couple loads for the smoker!(good deal)

Adios Pantalones said:
$50 a load is, for most, about $150 a cord- not cut to length, split, or delivered. It is a premium species. In many parts of the country, that's not a good deal, but here it might be good.
if this is real pick up load with tail gate you can get 1/2 cord per load or real close to it!

WonderingWoman said:
I piled it pretty high because I have a canopy on the back of the truck. Plus, I filled up the back seat of the cab.
good for you i would say thats a half cord for sure 100 a cord good deal.Bring me some!

Status
Not open for further replies.