50 gallons of #2 in 32 days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonMSPT

Minister of Fire
Positive results with the wood/coal boiler experiment. I'm pretty satisfied with using 50 gallons in 32 days. It's a 3,500 sf (750 sf basement at 6 degrees as well), three unit apartment building with at times six adults taking showers and coming and going.

Love to go to zero, but wasn't practical to go with a gasser and storage at this time. Considering this a learning experience and value added to the building. If I ever sell it, it'll be to someone just like me. If I move out and rent my apartment, I can maintain basement access for myself and burn the wood/coal boiler during the coldest weeks of the winter and keep consumption down.

Your "units" are all going to be vacant soon from what I hear... :) Can't be using too much heat and hot water per unit down to Gitmo anyway? ;)

I figure that the entire house used 1,500 gallons a year for heat and hot water with the old system. During the summer months, about 200 gallons for hot water from say April to October. Just taking 1,500/12 it comes out to 125 gallons... 1/2 is the landlord's apartment and basement, 65 gallons left over considering I live alone. I figure 25 gallons in the one bedroom and 40 gallons in the 2 bedroom.

75 dollars in the one bedroom, and 150 in the rear... It's calculated into the rent... the price is this much. You rent the heat, hot water, and electricity is included.

At this rate, heat is going to be alot less than it otherwise would have been without the new heating system and wood/coal boiler. And I deduct the cost of the coal and wood I put in the boiler, depreciate the heating system.

MADE OFF said:
What value do you place on heat/hot water per unit/month ? I have considered doing this myself with multi units.

Status
Not open for further replies.